Prologue

Her long blonde hair bounced as she hopped around the backyard, holding a newly found stick. She moved around the yard testing the ground as she hit it with her stick, flinging dirt with every spot she decided to stop. She was ruining the yard, but I decided to let her have her fun.
The last drips of coffee signaled me that it was done. I picked up the mug full of hot breakfast blend and poured in some cool salted caramel creamer. I watched my daughter play in the yard through the kitchen window as I enjoyed my coffee.
Cutest little thing she was, and only three years. So many more to go. I should be able to tell by now if she was really a Schwits, but I don't know how I could tell at this age. I was running out of time. I knew what was coming, and I knew the outcome, but there was nothing I could do about it. I'll have to wait until she's older.
My little cub picked a spot in the yard and began to see how far she could push the stick in the ground.
I set down my cup of coffee on the counter and decided to join her outside. Today I will find out if she is really like me, but the chairman will have to be patient and wait for my answer.
I knelt down next to her. "What're you doing?" I asked her.
With her sweet and small voice she answered, "Digging." She looked up at me with her cute dimpled smile. "Ima gonna fine treasure." She proclaimed.
Digging for treasure, that could be a sign. "Amber," I got her attention, and she looked up at me with her big green eyes. "Hold out your hand for me." I held out mine to show her.
She left her stick in the ground, and held out both hands. "Is ita game?"
"Sure sweetie." I nod. I took one of her hands and placed it on the ground face down. "Now keep your hand there. Okay, look at me, good, now what makes you happy?"
She studied my face as she thought. "Doggies?" She smiled.
I laughed. "If you have to question it then it's probably not your true happiness, love."
She thought for a moment before her eyes went wide. "You and mommy!" She smiled.
"Very good." I nodded. I began to get anxious when I saw that the ground had not changed beneath her hand. Maybe this wasn't it. "Alright now close your eyes," she pinched her eyes shut and scrunched up her nose as if that would tighten them more. "Think about why we make you happy. What about us just makes you smile."
"I-"
"Don't tell me, tell yourself, just think about your answer."
I could tell she was concentrating. She began murmuring her answers one by one, but it was so quiet I wasn't going to stop her. She smiled to herself. I looked down at her hand. To my delight bright green moss slowly grew from under her hand. It wasn't a lot, but it was enough.
    Feeling it beneath her hand she opened her eyes and gasped with delight. "Look it daddy!"
She looked up at me and her eyes slowly, but surely bloomed to a shiny gold color. I smiled wide. She was like me. In all my years, I have never felt joy like this. My little girl.
   My eyes turned gold as well, she responded in awe. She of course didn't know her eyes were that color, she wouldn't know the signs, but seeing mine she became curious. She held my bristly face and brought her own face close so she could examine them. I turned them back, and her eyes did the same.
I could feel a stare at my back. Knowing who it was, I sighed and turned around. I looked behind me to see Claire in the purple framed kitchen window. She looked between us both, she looked disappointed and looked at me in scorn, as if I had hurt our daughter. She turned, and stormed away from the window.
    Maybe it'd come sooner than I thought. I just hope she would be okay in the future, once I'm gone.
I looked back at my daughter. She was on her belly now, playing with the moss she had just grown. I smiled and kissed her forehead. "I love you Amber."