Secrets

*Okay, not what the teeth really look like... But you get the picture. 😜*

It began to rain on my way down my driveway. I hurried to the front door but stopped before I opened it, I turned around to see an empty driveway. Where is my moms car, is she not home yet? I shrugged and proceeded to open the door and stepped inside. I plopped my backpack on the floor and headed into the kitchen. As I stood in the room I realized that I had walked in there without a purpose.
"What am I doing?" I whispered to myself as I walked out. Then an idea popped into my head.
I turned and went back into the kitchen and grabbed a candle in the back cupboard that were saved for a black out. I set the cylinder shaped candle on the counter and grabbed some matches from the drawer below, I lit the candle and knelt down at eye level with the flame. I used my gut and blew out at the flame lightly. The flame grew a little. This was exciting. I repositioned myself and took a deeper gut breath and blew out harder this time. The orange flames shot up maybe two feet for a second, I fell back on my butt at the surprisingly tall flames. The candle was melted halfway down and the wax was still hot and was now dripping off the counter.
"Oh crap, oh no!" I yelled grabbing paper towels trying hopelessly to wipe up the mess. I piled on paper towel after a wet paper towel and quickly wiped and scooped up clumps of wax off the floor just hoping that my mom wouldn't walk in as I was cleaning.
I threw away what was left of the candle and cleaned up what I could of the hot white candle mess. I stood back to look at the damage, but there was none. Thank goodness.
I grabbed my backpack and headed up the stairs to my room. I stopped in my tracks as I was in front of my mothers door. I looked inside. She had those teeth in her new red coat that she bought just a month ago. I threw my bag into my room and went into my mothers room. Because of her new Better Homes wax melter, her room smelled of rose petals. I took a moment to breath it in, then set my sights on her closet. I sifted through her coats and found no red coat. Dang.
I turned to her short dresser. I ran my hand over its dark oak and red table cloth before opening the top drawer. Under garments. I opened the one next to it. Another set of under garments. I sifted through them impatiently when I spot a red handkerchief that was over a small box. Jackpot.
I glanced around before removing the handkerchief and lifting up the small box. I unclipped the latch and opened it quickly. The first thing that I spot is the two teeth that she found in the field sitting atop some papers, pictures and a lot of shiny jewelry.
Something caught my eye in the mirror in front of me. All I saw was myself, but the irises of my eyes were gold. I blinked multiple times but it wouldn't go away. I brought myself closer to the mirror and looked closer into my eyes, they were beautiful. It wasn't a normal gold though, it was if a cluster of golden flakes had stuck to my irises. The gold flakes you get in those suviner glass bottles that are supposably '24' carrot. I smiled to myself. The gold faded away. I frowned. I looked back into the box. The jewelry glimmered from the light that had been introduced to it. I looked up again to see that my eyes were gold again. "What..." I whispered to myself. I waited till my eyes faded back to brown then grabbed a shiny necklace and brought it up to my eye level. I kept it at an angle to where I could look at the necklace and my eyes at the same time. I looked at the necklace then looked at my eyes. I watched as my irises bloomed gold from my pupil then filled my iris. I smiled and let out a laugh. I looked at the necklace again. Why didn't my mom where this stuff around? It was beautiful, and shiny. Unless she knew...
"No." I concluded. I shook my head and put the necklace back.
I picked up the teeth and examined them. Now that I know what they really are, they seemed much more interesting to me.
I traced my finger around the curves of the two inch teeth. I put the brown tooth at eye level, I sucked in my gut and blew out. Flames shot out a few inches away from the tooth. I smiled in delight.
I placed the teeth back into the box and sifted through the pictures, my eyes caught one picture and I snatched it out of the box to look at it. My eyes widened in shock at what I saw. My mother, in a very nice wedding dress, stood next to a handsome pepper haired man. He was nicely dressed in a tuxedo with a smile that had a lazy side, making his smile crooked. His brown eyes, that resembled mine, seemed to be entrancing even through the picture.
This was my Father. My Dad.
It took a minute but I finally tore my eyes away from the picture. I took out another piece of paper, this one was more worn on the sides. As I scanned the words I realized, the document that I was holding was a divorce paper. My eye brows came together in confusion. I'm not sure why I was surprised, but after seeing that happy wedding photo I couldn't bring it together that my parents broke up.
I jumped at the sound of the front door closing. I heard heals clicking on the floor below me.
Mom.
"Amber? You home?" She called out.
I frantically tossed the paper back into the box and shoved the wedding picture of my parents in my back pocket. I put the box in the back of the drawer and tried to place the garments back in there shuffled places. I was in such a hurry to close the drawer that the back corner got stuck as I tried to shove it back into place.
My moms heals were clicking down the hall now.
I turned the drawer back into place and closed it correctly. I stood up and met my mom at the door.
She looked startled. "Amber! What are you doing in here? Why didn't you answer me? What's going on?"
I was taken aback by so many questions. I glanced in the mirror next to me to make sure my eyes weren't gold. "Uh... well- I-was looking for you." I answered.
"Why didn't you answer me when I called you?" She asked her tone getting louder.
I could feel myself shrinking. "I-I didn't hear you."
"Couldn't hear me? Wha-what are you doing in my room? What are you snooping for? This is an invasion of privacy!"
I flinched at her tone. She has never used that tone with me, ever. This was strange. "Ya, this would be an invasion of privacy, if I was a cop with no warrant. What's the big deal? I came in here to see if you were taking a nap or something when I came home." It didn't feel good to lie to her, but I also did not what to get punished for something stupid.
"Amber, if my car wasn't in the drive way, then why would I be sleeping?" She said back.
My mouth opened but nothing came out as words. I could tell her what I was snooping for, but at the same time I didn't want her to be mixed up in this.
"Don't take that crap from her. Be dominant." Dragolya said through my mind. What the heck? Where was Dragolya? She must have been close enough to hear our conversation.
I looked up. My mom stood waiting for my come back in a sassy manner.
I waved my hands around. "I don't know, I got worried cause you are usually home before me." "What am I supposed to say? She's my mom." I quickly say back to Dragolya. Where ever she was.
My mom threw her hands up. "Alright!" My hopes were raised. I had won? "All I hear are lies," Never mind... "No more staying after school to hang out in the woods to... smoke with your buddies or meditate on a tree! Your coming home right after school!"
"What? Where is this coming from? First of all I don't have 'buddies', second, I don't smoke, and where did the meditation come from? Since when do I meditate?"
My mom raised her eyebrow.
"Be cunning." Mistory said through my mind.
What in the world? Mistory was here too? I glanced around the room and out the windows.
"What are looking for? I'm talking to you!" She yelled. I winced again.
"Okay fine!" I yelled back, which makes her flinch this time. "I'll come home, every day at four I will be hear right after school!" I said quickly, hoping she wouldn't pick out the error of time. I kept my face like stone so she couldn't see the lie.
She let out a sigh and looked calm, which made me calm. "Good. I'm glad we could come to an understanding." She swiped her hand to shoo me out. "Now go on."
I lowered my head and went into my room. A smile formed over my lips, for I had won, and she didn't even no it. She had no idea that I said that I would be home at four instead of my bus drop off time which was at 3:15. 
I had my head down as I walked into my room and closed my door. As I lifted my head I had to keep myself from screaming as my eyes set on two people in my room. Dragolya was sitting on my bed with my homework on her lap, and Mistory sat next to her looking over her shoulder and pointing to a question. They both looked up at the same time.
"What are you two doing in here?" I whispered loudly.
"We came up here to talk to you." Mistory said. "Oh," Her head perked up as she remembered something and she dug her hand in her coat pocket.  "and here's your phone back." She tossed me my phone that I didn't even know was missing.
I caught it and rolled it in my hands making a quick scan for any cracks. "Bu-" I was cut off by Dragolya.
"What is this crap anyway?" She said pointing to my Algebra paper in front of her. Finally some one gets it! "We finished it for you but I just don't see why they would teach this?"
"Wait? You finished it? In five freaking minutes?" I asked astonished. I lowered my voice and glanced at the door behind me.
"Well, ten minutes." Dragolya corrected.
Those dumb Algebra papers Mrs. Newby would give us were tough as heck. It would take me maybe over an hour and a half to finish a paper.
"This is way too much nonsense, and commonsense rapped up in one big bundle of fur." Mistory declared. She tore it out of Dragolya's hands and handed it to me.
I looked down at the paper in aw. The page was filled with shown work and symbols I didn't even know where Algebra. I shook my head. "How did you... do this so fast?" I asked still in aw.
"That's not important now," Dragolya said standing up. I huffed at not having any say and rolled my eyes. Dragolya only growled till I would look at her. "What's important now is who you were texting during lessons." Her voice grew darker.
My face scrunched up in confusion. "What? Just someone from school."
She glanced at Mistory who also stood. "I believe they call themselves... Onyx?" Mistory said her eyebrow raised.
"How woul-"
"Because we're cool like that." Dragolya said with a smirk on her face.
The mood slightly lightened then.
Mistory rolled her eyes at Dragolya. "If you look closely into someone's pupil, you can see the reflection it gives off, and so you don't have to get right up in their face to do it like a human would have to, dragons can see farther than humans, like many other animals in the animal kingdom."
I nodded my head.
"Now about Onyx," Dragolya said 'Onyx' in an exaggerated tone. "You need to keep away from them, their dangerous."
I laughed quietly. "Onyx? Ha! that's funny." After no comment from either of them I spoke up again. "You guys are serious?" I asked with a laugh still in my words.
"Yes, Amber." Mistory said while crossing her arms.
Dragolya put a hand on my shoulder. "Really, they are bad people." She said in a sarcastic supportive voice.
I lifted my shoulders and hands in confusion. "What's the big deal?" We all froze as we heard my mom walk by and down the hall, then down the stairs, and we didn't move till we heard dishes clinking. "You guys, I don't see the problem and all I'm hearing is 'There bad', 'don't hang out with them', 'their dangerous'. This tells me nothing." I said their quotes in a dumb voice. 
"Their hunters." Mistory said quickly then turned to Dragolya with a wide grin.
Dragolya turned to her quick. "I wanted to say that! You know it so because I told you!" Dragolya's last words came out British and I raised an eyebrow at her. "It would have been way cooler than that too." She complained, this time it was American.
I concluded that they were previously speaking through each other's minds. "Wait I'm sorry, hunters?"
"Hunters" Mistory repeated. "Hunters that hunt us, dragons, in case you have forgotten."
"Of course I haven't forgotten." I shrugged.
"Hunters have weird rules when it comes to hunting. But why one of them tried to kill you? I don't know why." Dragolya said, now leaning against my dresser. "Elders are sacred in a way, off limits. We kind of depend on your kind."
I remember that a few days ago. When the large arrow came at my face then Mistory grabbed it in mid-air and saved me.
They looked at me. I flew hands up. "I don't know anything! I met them on my first day here, they asked a lot of questions-"
"Like what?" Mistory asked stepping closer.
I was bit intimidated but I continued. "Like, where was I from, how I was enjoying Concrete so far," Dragolya scoffed. "And what my last name was and... My moms name?" That last part came out as a question.
Dragolya scoffed again. "Typical. They soften up to you and then when you least expect it..." She stood up and came closer as if telling a scary story. "They come and cut out your heart!" She said ripping out an imaginary heart.
My head snapped back at the last sentence, following her movements with cringe.
Dragolya smiled. "Ha ha! Your face, priceless!" Dragolya's humor towards anything was confusing. So was Mistory's as she laughed along.
Dragolya and Mistory suddenly perked up their heads. They snapped their heads towards my door and Mistory quietly growled in annoyance.
I looked to the door as well. "Wh-"
"Shh... Your mom is listening." Dragolya said through my mind. When I looked at her, her finger was on her lips as she looked at me with golden eyes.
I listened closely as I inched closer to my door. I pressed my ear to the door and listened. I could slightly hear breathing down the hallway, a board creaked as she took a careful step forward. I backed away slowly and motioned for them to go out the window.
"See yeah in the morrow!" Dragolya said through my mind making a saluting hand motion off of her forehead. They leapt out of the window without making a noise.
I listened once more with my ear against the door. Her breathing was closer, much closer. I scurried to my bed and set my finished homework on my lap, picked up my pencil and put my phone to my ear as if I was previously talking into it. As I saw the door knob twist I began speaking. "Ya? Oh okay." I tried to bring up a slight laugh as she entered the room. My mom glanced around my room then looked to me with realization of her mistake. I looked at her with a mixture of confusion and a what-are-you-doing-in-here look. "Ya, hold on Jen." I told my imaginary person. I put my phone to my chest. "Ya Mom?" I looked to her impatiently.
She glanced around again then looked regretful. "Uh, I thought I heard other people in here..."
"Uh, nope. Just me." I said glancing around then looking back at her.
"Who are you...?" She said lowering her voice so the fake person in the phone wouldn't here, she pointed to the phone and motioned it up to her face so I would know she was talking about the person in the phone.
"A friend from school, helping me with," I gestured to my homework that was already finished. I covered some of it with my hand so she wouldn't see all the scripture-like scribbling's all over it.
She nodded her head. "Oh." She bit her lip and slid out of my room and closed the door. I didn't hear her foot steps walking back so I continued the conversation.
"Okay I'm back, what were you saying?" I used the silence to listen for any movement outside my door. "Oh nothing, just my mom." No movement. "Oh yeah?" I tried to laugh. I laughed some more as I finished my last sentence. "Okay, ya... Okay bye. Yeah see yeah next week." I made it clear that I had put my phone on my night stand. I kept my eyes on the door as I scribbled hard on my paper, making it sound like I was writing something in.
Finally I heard her footsteps creep away. That was weird, she is never this clingy and obsessed over anything. I should have confronted her about the picture and the teeth in her drawer. I made a mental note to talk to her later.