Chapter 9

Backstage was always an interesting area. People with headsets were running around, giving as well as receiving orders while they did some last minute tasks for the show. In the middle of them, a production assistant guided the members of Fifth Harmony towards an opening which led to the stage. It was showtime.

Fifth Harmony had recorded their performance of 'Work From Home'  half an hour ago and had now gotten ready for their first ever interview on the most popular daytime talk show in the United States. To say that they were nervous would have been an understatement. Not only would it be their first real interview with Ellen, but the main topic of their conversation was going to impact their future in the music industry as well as their individual lives outside the group. People around the world would judge them based on how they handled this situation, people who held the power that would either make or break them.

They listened as the audience was led into an applause and loud cheers as Ellen welcomed them back from 'a small break'. Watching a taping and seeing the finished product on TV later on had definitely been an eye-opener for the girls.

Lauren raised her hand to ran it through her hair for the umpteenth time, only for it to get caught by a tanned and slightly more slender one.

"Stop doing that. Your hair looks fine," Camila said quietly and intertwined their fingers as the audience cheered louder.

Lauren let out a deep breath and rolled her shoulders. "It's hot in here, isn't it? Like, really hot..."

"It's not," Dinah answered right behind her. "You're just freaking yourself out, Lauren. Calm down."

"Easy for you to say..."

"It's going to be fine," Camila whispered into her ear and gave her a peck on the cheek. "I'm right beside you and hold your hand like this, okay? You heard Ellen, we have nothing to fear from the studio audience. No one else is watching us today but them."

Lauren huffed. "Millions will watch it tomorrow, though."

"Just be yourself." Ally rubbed her arm. "This is not just another interview where you have to show them your tough side. Be honest with them and your feelings. You can't expect anyone to understand if you pretend to be someone you're not."

Nodding, Lauren tightened her grip on her girlfriend's hand and they fell silent, waiting for their cue.

"Our next guests are the biggest girl group in the world," Ellen started their introduction. The girls gave each other a quick once-over to make sure that everyone still looked good. Camila and Lauren reluctantly let go of their hands. "Please welcome the multi-platinum selling recording artists from Fifth Harmony; Lauren Jauregui, Camila Cabello, Dinah Jane Hansen, Ally Brooke, and Normani Kordei!"

The chorus of 'Worth It'  started to play in the background and they quickly walked out in the order they had been called. Lauren only waved at the audience for a short moment before her eyes sought out Ellen who stood clapping behind three chairs and a white couch which had only enough room for two people.

Ellen gave them each a wide smile and hugged them warmly as they approached the little platform to take their assigned seats. Lauren was closest to Ellen and next to Camila on the couch while Normani, Ally and Dinah took the chairs behind them.

"Thank you so much for coming," Ellen said after they were seated. "You have been on the show before a couple times, am I right? But this is the first time we actually get to talk!"

"Yeah, we performed... two times, I think?" Normani answered a little unsure, but the others nodded.

"Not counting this one, of course," Dinah added.