Post#12

One of the richest women of the world, Oprah Winfrey's early life was not easy or even a normal one.

Winfrey was born in Kosciusko, Mississippi in 1954 to an unmarried teenage mother. After Winfrey's birth, her mother traveled north and Winfrey spent her first six years living in rural poverty with her maternal grandmother, who was so poor that Winfrey often wore dresses made of potato sacks, for which the local children made fun of her.

At age six, Winfrey moved to an inner-city neighborhood in Wisconsin with her mother. However, that phase of her life was even worse than hell. She was molested by her cousin, uncle, and a family friend, starting when she was nine years old.

At 13, after suffering years of abuse, Winfrey ran away from home. When she was 14, shebecame pregnant but her son was born prematurely and he died shortly after birth.

Her mother then sent her to live with her father who was strict, but encouraging and made her education a priority.

Winfrey became an honors student, was voted Most Popular Girl, and joined her high school speech team at East Nashville High School, placing second in the nation in dramatic interpretation. She won an oratory contest, which secured her a full scholarship to Tennessee State University, a historically black institution, where she studied communication. Her first job as a teenager was working at a local grocery store.

At age 17, Winfrey won the Miss Black Tennessee beauty pageant. She also attracted the attention of the local black radio station, which hired her to do the news part-time. She worked there during her senior year of high school, and again while in her first two years of college.

Winfrey's career choice in media would not have surprised her grandmother, who once said that ever since Winfrey could talk, she was on stage. As a child, she played games interviewing her corncob doll and the crows on the fence of her family's property

She started her career mainly by co-hosting a series shows before finally making it super big with her own talk show 'The Oprah Winfrey Show' in 1986.

This show became an incredible success and gained her a huge fan following. The popularity increased massively in the coming years. Her big warm heart and her beautiful smile charmed the people across the globe.

The media giant contributed immensely to the publishing world by launching her "Oprah's Book Club," as part of her talk show. The program propelled many unknown authors to the top of the bestseller lists and gave pleasure reading a new kind of popular prominence.

With the debut in 1999 of Oxygen Media, a company she co-founded that is dedicated to producing cable and Internet programming for women, Winfrey ensured her place in the forefront of the media industry and as one of the most powerful and wealthy people in show business

According to Forbes, Magazine, Oprah was the richest African American of the 20th century and the World's only black Billionaire for three running

According to Forbes, Magazine, Oprah was the richest African American of the 20th century and the World's only black Billionaire  for three running