Getting the Truth from a Brother

The next day, I was determined to get the truth of what happened that night mu hair was turned green. The problem was, Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Neville were all just as determined to not tell me. Even Neville, who could easily be swayed by a glare, had his mouth sewed firmly shut.

Three days past, and I still didn't have the faintest clue of what had happened. What I could gather, however, was that it was something bad, something that could have caused them to get detention or worse. I was sitting in the Common Room when I heard Harry and Ron talking about it. Instantly, I stopped fidgeting and listened.

"... but what was it guarding?" Harry wondered.

"I still can't believe they let a thing like that in the school!" Ron hissed.

"I think it all fits, though," Harry replied seriously. "Hagrid and Dumbledore must have known someone would try to steal that package from Gringotts, so they took it out. I think that's what that thing is guarding."

"Its either really valuable or really dangerous."

"Or both," Harry said.

"I just wish we could get back at Malfoy,” Ron mused.

Minutes past, and the boys didn't say anything more on the subject. I decided to take action, and moved from my spot so I could sit in front of them. They jumped when they saw me, getting that same guilty but annoyed expression they got every time we were near each other.

"Tell me everything," I ordered, keeping my voice even.

The boys didn't seem surprised that I had listened in on them. They were coming to expect this from me. Instead of giving into my demands, they shook their heads stubbornly.

"Tell me everything," I said again.

"Leave us alone, Nixie,” Harry groaned.

"Tell me everything," I felt like a robot, repeating myself over and over with the same, monotone voice.

"No,” Harry was firm.

"Tell me everything."

"No," Harry said, visibly forcing himself to look calm and collected instead of agitated.

"Tell me everything."

"There is nothing to tell you."

"Tell me everything."

“No-" to my utter surprise, Ron interrupted him.

"You know the time you two went to Gringotts-"

"Be quiet, Ron!" Harry hissed, but Ron continued like he hadn't said anything.

"Well, that package Hagrid had was obviously important because someone tried to steal it later that same day-"

Harry sighed in exasperation.

"-and when Harry and I went to go duel Malfoy last night, he wasn't there, and Hermione and Neville followed us..."

He told me everything. About the stupid three-headed dog, how the two of them fell for Malfoy's bait, how they almost got caught by Filch, and how Hermione was not speaking to them anymore.

I rolled my eyes. "You two shouldn't have to worry about this. Its really none of our business; its Dumbledore's."

They didn't even listen. They just kept talking about ways to get Malfoy back.

But I didn't care. I just got the truth from my brother, whether he liked it or not.