Nicolas Flamel

At first, when introductions were made, the exchanges were stiff and awkward, neither girl knowing how to react to the other. But after Bonnie complimented Hermione on her title as “One of the Most Brilliant Witches In Our Year”, the bookworm warmed up to the other girl in a flash.

Harry and Ron sat next to us, trying to ignore our nonstop blabber. We were too loud for them, though, and they pushed down the bench to sit next to Fred and George.

I glanced down at my watch. “Well, I have Quidditch practice right now so I'll see you two later.”

“Okay,” Bonnie said.

“Bye,” Hermione said at the same time.

I got up from the table, silently calling out a goodbye to my delicious food, which I had barely touched. Hermione and Bonnie didn't stop talking when I walked away with Fred, George, and Harry, instead I could hear Bonnie telling the bookworm about all the embarrassing moments I'd lived through when she was away.

I guess that's karma for me, I thought, flushed and remembering the time I told Bonnie about Hermione's embarrassing moments.

On the walk to the Quidditch field, Fred and George kept tripping and stumbling over themselves, pretending to be incredibly clumsy. By the time we made it to the other team, Harry and I were roaring with laughter. All was well, except when the twins started doing it during practice.

“Will you stop fooling around!” Wood snapped harshly when the boys once again fell off their brooms. “Snapes refereeing the game and he will find any excuse to knock points off from Gryffindor!”

This time, the Weasleys fell off their brooms, but this time it was an actual accident. Fred got to his feet hurriedly, ignoring the grass that gripped his robes. “Snapes refereeing?” Fred spluttered. “When has he ever refereed a Quidditch game? He's not going to be fair if we might take on Slytherin.”

“It's not my fault,” Wood said, frowning at his team in both empathy and defensiveness. “We've just got to make sure that we play a clean game so Snape doesn't have an excuse to pick on us.”

Harry and I glanced at each other. Despite my many protests that Snape wasn't trying to kill us, I still had my doubts. It was very strange that he hated us the second we walked into the school, and it was very suspicious that our brooms stopped acting wacky after Hermione set his robes on fire. I might scold the others for believing a teacher was trying to harm us, but I didn't completely disregard the possibility.

But I didn't believe he was trying to kill us. Maybe hurt us, but not kill us.

When the practice was over, I followed Harry out of the locker room, leaving the rest of the team to chat like they usually did. We didn't say anything the entire walk to the Gryffindor Common Room, which wasn't anything new – years with the Dursleys taught us that silent comfort was just as strong as verbal.

When we reached the Common Room, Ron and Hermione were sitting at the window playing wizards chess – which was the most complicated game I've ever endured. Hermione and I hated it because we could never seem to beat the boys, which Ron thought was very good for us – the git.