Quidditch

The Gryffindor Quidditch game against Slytherins was drawing nearer and nearer. The tension could be sensed everywhere I went. Slytherins would hiss and spit at Gryffindors while they walked by, and the Gryffindors would get back at them by throwing secret hexes.

This was a very important game to us. If Gryffindor won, we would move up to second place to win the House Cup.

Hardly anyone has seen Harry and I play because Wood decided, as secret weapons, that Harry and I should be kept, well, secret. But the news that I was playing Seeker and Harry a Chaser had leaked out somehow, and I didn't know if I should be happy about it or scared. Harry was worried, because everyone was either telling us that we would be brilliant or that they'd be running around holding a mattress under us. I tended to ignore the latter, of course.

The greatest improvement in the school was not my Quidditch skills, however, or my new found ability to ignore insults. The greatest improvement was Hermione, who had become a bit more relaxed about breaking the rules, and she was nicer to Harry and Ron for it. I didn't like the fact that they had kept that secret from me, even though it was ridiculous, but since it drew them all closer, I would let them off the hook. I couldn't stay mad at them forever.

The day before the Quidditch match came, and Harry was about to wet his pants from nervousness. I tried to hide my own uneasiness about the match, and I think I was doing good since no one tried to comfort me.

Outside, I knew that Harry, Ron, and Hermione were studying about the rules of Quidditch, but I refused to join them. All morning, a thought had plagued my mind. I sat down on my bed, the golden heart locket around me throat clutched between my fingers.

I wished that mum and dad were here to cheer for me. They had to be watching, they had to be happy for me.

I opened my locket, and smiled. The tiny picture of my mum and dad beamed when they saw me, and mum waved at me, while dad winked, like he knew what was going to happen, and he was proud. But it was just a picture, and I knew that they had no conscious thought.

"Goodnight, mum, dad," I said, kissing the locket and holding it to my heart. I fell asleep quickly after that, not wanting to wake up tired.

The next morning, I was the first one to wake up, other than the teachers. I trudged my way into the Great Hall, feeling strangely happy and carefree. I swayed in a little dance to my seat, then plopped down ungracefully. Some of the professors smiled kindly at me, but everyone else continued to eat.

I ate just enough to make sure that I wouldn't get dizzy during the game, but not too much that I my get sick. When I was done, I rested my chin in my hands and hummed to a song I don't remember the lyrics to.

“What are you singing?” Fred asked me, appearing from over my shoulder.

“I don't know,” I said, then looked at Harry, who had sat across from me and looked extremely green. “How are you, Harry?”

He looked downright miserable. “It's Quidditch today.”

“And that's a bad thing?” I asked.