16| Remember

The closest thing to being cared for is to care for someone else
- Carson McCullers

- CHAPTER 16 -

Pure darkness, was all that could be seen.

Rosalina lay in the hospital bed, her eyes shut, her mind filled with thoughts but her ability to wake up, revoked.

The doctor made his was into the waiting room.

On arriving, he called out for the friends and family, present for Rosalina.

Maria, Gregorio, Lucille, Pablo, Giovanni and Mateo all stood up instantly, their ears perked up, waiting for the doctor to bring the good and bad news.

"Her room is this way," the doctors said, leading everyone to her room.

Everyone followed, closely behind, tears in all of their eyes as they prayed for Rosalina's well being, hoping for things not to be too bad.

"Now before we go in, I regret to inform you all but Rosalina has slipped into a coma, it's just temporally, for all we know she could wake up today or tomorrow," this news made everyone even more upset, bringing twice as much sadness into the atmosphere than there already was.

The news had strikes them all, how could a woman as perfect and beautiful as her, Rosalina De La Vega, end up in the condition she was currently in.

What did she do to serve such a thing ?

Because to her family, friends and the people who generally knew Rosalina all knew she was a very kind and positive woman with not a single mean bone in her body.

"Just remember, she can hear what you say to her but she won't be able to respond," the doctor explained, receiving nods from everyone.

"All right then, you guys can go in." Mateo and Gio stayed in the halls as Maria, Gregorio, Maria and Pablo, both sets of parents, entered Rosalina's hospital room.

"What did you have to tell me, before," Mateo asked, rubbing his bloodshot eyes as he sniffled.

"Mateo, I think you should sit down, what I'm about to tell you is not something to be taken lightly," Giovanni said, his eyes looking at anything but Mateo's, for he knew what Mateo's reaction would be like.

"Gio, what the hell is wrong, just tell me for gods sake," Mateo stated, taking a seat, his eyes filled with confusion as he stared at Giovanni's nervous self.

"I need to tell you something important, very important, actually and I don't know how you will react to this, well I sort of have some kind of idea," Giovanni started, stuffing his hands into his pockets as spoke.

"Gio, I don't have all day for this, all right, I want to go and see my girlfriend, you know, the sole reason for us being here," Mateo snapped.

"Rosalina and I have a past," Giovanni blurted out, causing Mateo's eyes to widen.

"W-what," he stuttered.

"When she was 19 and I was 22, we dated, we were in love, brother I'm sorry to say this but I still love her." Giovanni admitted truthfully.

Mateo's world came crashing down before him as he received the news.

"But there's more," Gio exclaimed, catching Mateo's attention.

"More," Mateo whimpered, his chest rising up and down as anger invaded his thoughts and emotions.

Giovanni explained everything, from when they met and everything from them and onwards, he also mentioned his side of the story as to why he had left Rosalina in such a vulnerable and fragile state.

"It was you," Mateo spat when realisation had hit him like a tonne of bricks.

"W-what was me," Giovanni asked, his eyes wide as Mateo jumped from his sitting position.

There wasn't much heigh distance between, Giovanni was only a couple of inches taller than Mateo, yet Mateo was the brother that could change his looks form charming to intimidation within seconds.

"You broke her heart, you caused her to lock her heart away, you broke her into a million pieces and left her to like them up, all by herself," Mateo shouted at Giovanni, stalking towards him as if he were a lion, hunting his prey.

"I - never meant to -," Gio started, fumbling with his words.

"What were you thinking, you should have told her, she had a right to know, because of you she never accepted my love, because of you she caged her heart from the world," Mateo spat, shoving Giovanni against the wall roughly, by his collar.

"Stay away from her, do you hear me, when she wakes up, you will leave her alone, am I clear or so help me god -," Mateo threatened, ferociously.

"I'm afraid not brother, I loved her and I still do, Rosalina did and and will always belong with me, she carried my child in her womb once and she will do, once again," Giovanni shouted back.

"You son of a bitch," Mateo shouted, clenching his fists and punching Giovanni in the face, with as much strength as he could muster.

"Hey, hey, stop," Pablo and Gregorio, both shouted, pulling the men apart.

"Get out of here, sta-," Mateo started.

The doors burst open, revealing a smiling Lucille and Maria.

"She's awake," Lucille screamed, catching everyone's attention.

Mateo shared a look with Giovanni, but turned on his heel, storming into the room.

He looked around and his whole body loosened up and his eyes softened when he caught sight of the Angel that lay in the hospital bed, as she stared out the window, buried deep in her thoughts.

"Rosalina," Mateo called out.

Rosalina turned to face Mateo, a small smile etching on her face.

Mateo missed that, her smile, it could bring him to his knees and it was all I took to send him over the edge.

"You came -," she smiled.

"Of course I -," Mateo started.

"Giovanni," she smiled.

Mateo furrowed his eyebrows in confusion, he turned around and saw Giovanni standing at the door, smiling at the woman he loved.

Giovanni ran to Rosalina, embracing her, trying not to hurt her.

"Rosalina," Mateo called out, his voice hoarse and broken.

"I'm sorry, but who are you,"

Like 💘
Comment 🔤
Add to your reading list

Ohhhhh, did you like it, did you like it.

Have a nice day/night ❤️❤️