window boy pt. 1

"It's been a week." Harry stated. "Relax, love."

I sighed and laid my head down on his lap and looked up at him. "I can't."

"I can't believe you invited me over just so we could talk about your crush."

I playfully pouted. "I always let you talk about Louis."

He chuckled lightly. "Yeah, but difference is Louis and I are dating."

"Yes but online. You guys never met."

"Whatever." He rolls his eyes. "You need to start taking action. She lives right next door to you." He laughed. "She's literally the girl next door."

"I miss her." I admit. "And it's weird cause we've only spent that one day together when I drove her to school and after that... nothing. Probably too busy hanging out with window boy again."

"And guess what? Window boy could actually just be window boy and not a boyfriend."

I was about to completely disagree with him but someone started knocking on my door and right after my mom opened it and peeped her head through.

"Ken, Cara's here."

I sat up way too fast when she said that. My heart skipped a beat and I was confused as to why she was here. I looked at Harry who only shrugged and then back at my mom. "Why?"

"She said she wants to see you, don't be rude. She's waiting in the living room for you." She said before leaving and closing the door.

Harry got up from the bed. "I'm gonna give you two some privacy."

"Yeah, good idea. See ya." I said nervously.

"Stop freaking out. This is what you wanted. Text me the deets, yeah?"

I sighed. "Okay. I can handle this."

After mentally convincing myself Harry and I both went downstairs. Harry left and I went into the living room to see Cara standing at the fireplace looking at some of my family pictures that was neatly framed.

I stood next to her and she didn't look away from my baby picture. "You were such a cute baby. What happened?" She laughed.

I playfully rolled my eyes. "Oh, shut up."

She looked at me and smiled. "Surprised to see me here?"

"Of course. It's been a while since you've talked to me and now you're at my house."

"Right, I can explain that. Can we go up to your room?"

I nod. "Yeah, it's this way." I lead her upstairs to my room and she goes right to my window and raise it. "Is it alright if I smoke?" She asks rather quickly.

Before I could even answer a cigarette was already around her lips and she began to light it. She inhaled the smoke and exhaled through her nose. "Thanks."

I actually didn't mind that she'd smoke or that she was even smoking in my room. I'm just happy to see her, to be talking to her again.

"You were going to explain..." I say.

"Yeah." She puts the cigarette out in the window sill and throws it out the window. "I gotta quit. Bad habit of mine." She chuckles. "I actually didn't think that you'd want to continue to hang out. I mean, I forced you to give me a ride. I didn't think you'd wanted a friendship out of that."

"It's fine if you don't want to be friends. You saw me as an über driver. Not hurtful at all."

She chuckles and sit on the bed next to me. "Kendall, you're more than a weird stranger who likes to drop people off for some extra cash." Her hand touches my knee and I couldn't help but to freak out a little. "I like spending time with you."

I look down at her hand that was touching my knee and then at her. "I knew it." I smile. "I'm pretty great to be around."

She moves her hand away and laughs. "Oh, yeah."

"So why are you here?"

"Honestly, my friends are out partying—"

I gasp. "On a school night? How spontaneous." Sarcastically speaking.

"Yeah, I know. And I didn't felt like going with cause that's all we pretty much do. And I didn't want to be stuck all in the house by myself and then my mind starting wandering and then you popped up."

My voice hitched in my throat. "I did?"

"Mhm." She looks down.

I hate to ruin a moment that I've dreamt about but this was something that has been on my mind and I had to ask. "When I had picked you up to drive you to school the other day.... there was this boy coming out of your window.... is he...."

"My boyfriend." She says very doubtlessly.

I didn't think it was possible to feel this hurt. Cara, the girl that I like, is with someone who isn't me. This whole time I had a right to jealous over window boy.

"Oh."

"Yeah. He's in college so he sneaks in and out. It's been a couple of months. Nothing serious."

It's crazy how she didn't know she was killing me right now. I don't know how she couldn't see the discomfort all over my face that I didn't bother trying to not show.

"College." Wow, I finally said an actual word. "No wonder I've never seen him at school before."

"Yep." She sighs. "So what about you?"

"What about me?"

"Boyfriend?"

"No."

"Wait." She runs one of her hands through her hair and she raises her eyebrow, she was thinking. "What about the boy with the long curly hair? Uh... Jerry? No, Harry!" She exclaims. "Harry Styles. You're always with him and I saw him leave."

"Oh." I laugh.

"Hey, what's so funny?"

"Harry's my best friend. Taken. And gay." I flat out explained.

Her expression had changed and she didn't move nor blink and so I didn't move either until suddenly we both started busting out into laughter.

"I fucking knew it." She said through laughs.

"Oh, right. You totally had no idea." When my laughter had died down I laid down on my back and Cara did the same.

"So hey, pick me up in the morning and we can grab breakfast before school starts."

"Do you ever ask?"

"Nope."

"You're lucky I like you."