heart strings

When I made it home from my day of ditching my parents were absolutely shocked. Almost happy when I told them the news and a little bit let down when I told them that I just went to the library but then really happy again when I mentioned I was with Cara and helped her with work.

I couldn't get what she said out of my head.

I think you're good for me.

What did she mean by that?

Will this always haunt me?

"You're always daydreaming." Harry snickered and sat his heavy booted feet on the coffee table of my living room. "Thinking about the fun you had at the library today?" He teased.

"I think something happened with us." I confessed, slouching into the couch because I was afraid of his response and more importantly mad at myself for letting out the news.

"You think?" His eyebrows knitted together in confusion and somewhat of disapproval. "What does that even mean?"

"I don't know." I sighed and explained to him what happened between the two bookshelves. "But then again, I don't think it was a moment. I don't know what she meant and I'm probably just reading way too deep into it."

"I'm sorry to say this but I think she meant you're a good friend for her. Didn't she tell you how all her friends like to do is party?"

It stung a little, I'll admit. But being her friend is also fine.

"You're right." I slouch even more into the cushion, wishing it would swallow me whole. "She has window boy anyway."

"Fuck him." Harry blurts, accent very prominent in his tone.

I stay silent he asks the question I dread the most. "Do you think she likes girls?"

"You can't really tell. She's just..." I pause, racking my brain for the right word that'll fit her. "She's just Cara and that's what I'm attached to."

Harry gave me puppy dog eyes and was going to speak but the sound of my phone ringing stopped that from happening. When I saw who it was my heart dropped in the best way.

"Who is it?" He asks me. "Are you gonna answer it?"

"It's Nina." I tell him before I accepted her call in time.

"Nina?" I uncertainly ask.

"Hey, Kendall." Her soft voice rings in my ears and pulls on my heart strings all over again. That's all it took. "I was calling because I missed you."

"I miss you too. Is that all?"

"I'm visiting my aunt this weekend and she lives in your neighborhood. I was wondering if I could stop by and, you know, see you?"

My heart was beating so fast. I'm going to be seeing her again. "Sure, I would love that. It's been so long. I'll just let my parents know and of course they wouldn't mind."

"Great, I'll see you Friday."

"Bye."

Harry was eager for me to explain everything to him. And I was going to but I was still shocked myself.

"So are you just going to leave me out of the loop, love?"

"Nina's back." I knew I had such a big smile on my face along with rose colored cheeks.

"That bitch from camp Nina?"

"What other Nina?" I roll my eyes. "And don't call her that."

"I'm sorry but do you not remember what she did to you?"

"I remember perfectly fine. Do you not remember who she is to me?"

"I don't think that matters if she caused you pain." He bit back.

"Oh, what do you know?" I waved him off.

"I know that she was the first girl you ever liked before Kendall moved in next door. You were twelve and you went to some stupid camp, you shared a cabin with her. She taunted you, called you gay in front of everyone when everybody at camp said that you were both secret lovers."

"Thanks for going down memory lane but it's fine. She explained that she didn't mean it, that we were kids. We've been contact every since. We just drifted a little once I started hanging out with Cara."

"I thought you stopped talking to her once camp was over. You're such a liar."

"I'm sorry! I knew how much you hated her."

"Please don't start having feelings for her again. I can't let you keep falling in love with straight girls." Harry pleaded.

"Hey, we don't know for sure if Cara is straight." I defended.

Even if Cara is straight, I'm just hoping she'll like me.