Chapter 10 (Jessica)

A knock at their door signaled that morning had come. The person announced that breakfast was being served in the main hall. All three tables were being used by the common members of the community. Craig guessed that well over two hundred people resided in the missile silo and were now dining in the main hall side by side. From the head table at the far end of the hall Sarah waved them to her and motioned to three empty seats on her left. The seat to her right was occupied by Gideon, ever faithfully, within arm's reach.

Once the three were in earshot of Sarah she greeted them. "I hope you three slept well during the night."

They picked seats at the table, Jessica closest to Sarah, then Dennis followed by Craig.

"Are all these people your family?" Jessica asked.

Sarah gave an amusing chuckle. "Goodness no, dear! The only family members living here are my grandchildren, the grandchildren of all my in-laws, which is four sets. So in total the Andersons make-up approximately..." She had to think about the statistic but had to turn to Gideon for an answer.

"There are seventy-five relatives of the Anderson family. Everyone else is either from the town, wandered into the area, or had farms in the area that got overrun." Gideon returned to his own discussion with one of the other attendants at the table.

"That's my nephew, always knowing everything about everything that goes on here." She patted Gideon's arm. "I may be in charge of what happens within the halls of this home but it is Gideon that keeps us safe."

"We never thanked you properly for your hospitality," said Jessica. Craig's leg was still not suitable for travel and forced them to stay under her roof. "While we are waiting for our friend to heal we will help you as much as we can."

Sarah smiled. "I happily accept the offer and I'm sure you all have skills that will make this home safer for all."

Jessica wondered what tasks she would set for them.

The meal was uneventful until the very end when a bloodied messenger gasping for air and smeared with dirt from traveling, burst into the hall crying about the Hill People. Sarah and the other key members of the communities, even Jessica and Dennis, went silent to hear the warning.

According to the messenger, the Hill People were moving south into the lowland plains but had not managed to reach as far as the Judge's Place. Only the messenger's home had been attacked by the raiders and he raced to the one place where there was safety. Now, a band of the Hill People was in the lowlands and spreading out threatening the few other minor survivor groups in the area.

People began calling out at the news and shouted for what the proper course of action should be. Sarah raised a hand for silence and all waited to hear her orders.

"Gideon, gather our people and hunt down as many as these bandits as you can, keep them contained. I will be organizing things here and message the other groups in other parts of the lowlands."

Gideon nodded and marched off to fulfill the orders, out in the fields against the infected and the Hill People he was the needed leader. The others knew their places in such times when Judge's Place was in danger. Jessica, Dennis and Craig had no idea where they belonged in the beehive of activity.

Sarah wheeled herself over to the three. "This is not your fight and I do not want to force you to take part in it," said Sarah. "Yet I also cannot let you leave, with the Hill People about we do not know what or who may lead them here even on accident."