Chapter 15 (Jessica)

They watched the Prophet, unsure of what to think of him. It was awkward with the stranger who sat silently behind his desk, smiling pleasantly. He leaned back in his office chair, a combination of cheap metal and cheaper knock-off leather, he intertwined his hands together. He examined the trio brought before him, studying them.

"You must have gone through a lot," he stated. "From Samantha's story you handled yourself well. My people could use experienced fighters like you all."

Dennis raised a hand to stop him from continuing. "We're not interested in finding a home, just a place to resupply then move on." Just as he said in the conversation at the bar, Dennis had no intentions of settling anywhere.

"That's a shame." The Prophet kept his smile. "Our people sleep and spend most of their day in the mines but currently we have two families that have recently joined us. They aren't accustomed our ways just yet." The Prophet gave an elderly giggle. "You may make yourself a camp there for the time being."

"Your people live within the mine?" asked Craig.

"Yes, it's safer, has more room, easy to quarantine and allows us more room to use the available surface ground for farming. You're welcome to keep your equipment, even your guns. We do out number you after all." The Prophet laughed again. "We have no interest in harming anyone."

They were escorted to a rear corner of the mine's property where a pavilion and a collection of tents were situated. The two families were busy catering to the own campsite. A freckled girl chopping firewood was the first to address them. She looked to be in her late teens with a short bob haircut. She wiped away the sheen of sweat from her forehead.

"Howdy there friends, you must be new in town?" She was clearly from the southwest. "Make yourselves at home. I'm Kat."

"Is everyone in this mine so damn friendly?" Dennis asked.

"Hell yeah they are. Took me and my younger brothers in when we were half-starved. We've been here for the past month, helping out here and there with odd chores. They're some of the friendliest people left in the world."

They started setting up their camp from extra tents lying about. They talked about their experiences in the world before coming to the mine. The conversation turned to the community of Thanatos worshippers.

"I'll admit, being raised Mormon in Arizona and living amongst people like these is a little off putting but considering the current state of the world beggars can't be choosers," Kat said.

"Been to any of their services?" Jessica asked.

"Course not," she said. "I mean, I am grateful for what they've done for me and my brothers but I couldn't join them in that. If this is part of Revelations then why survive all this to just damn my soul at the end."

Her younger brothers returned to the camp, twins that shared auburn hair. They were very young, probably not even ten. One of the boys was missing a hand. Kat introduced the twins, Jeffery and Gregory but the two were more considered with playing hide-and-seek with the local children then talking.

"We heard there was another family here," said Craig. "Where are they?"

"They're in the mine talking with the priests of their 'god'." Her tone was condescending. "I guess some people will believe anything when the world is overrun with spawn from Hell."

With their camp set up in the corner of the mining compound they finally had a chance to rest. Despite the strangeness of the community, the fences and the setup of the camp gave a sense of security, order and a place for the three of them to rest. The cooking fires of the commune gave off a fragrant odor of the current meal that prompted the survivors to prepare their own meal. The twin brothers had returned and so had the second family. A pair of men and a small girl a little younger than the twins, they were dressed in the ragtag robes of the priests.