Chapter Two

"Hazel?"

He scans me up and down, stopping at my face. His smile brightens, damn that smile.

"Luke..." I mumble.

It feels like the whole lunch room went silent, or maybe I finally went deaf from all the screaming.

"Wow you've changed a lot," Luke grins.

I bend down and pick up my tray. When I stand back up, the mash potatoes slip onto the floor like a pile of goo.

"Yeah lost the pigtails, got my braces removed, and now I wear contacts," I said quietly.

"I never would known it was you if you didn't make your signature face," he chuckles.

I arch an eyebrow,"My signature what?"

He lifts his hands and gestures to my face. "See there it is, the Hazel I know."

I feel awkward around him as I shift my weight on each foot slowly. I can't believe he remembers. Luke turns and cups his hands around his mouth.

"Look who it is guys! It's Hazel!" He hollers.

Oh great, I got to get out of here. But I'm surrounded. They all just keep pushing me toward him, which is the exact opposite of what I want. After a few attempts of escaping, I just give up and turn to Luke's back. I try hiding behind him but he moves and reveals the rest of them. Remembrance hits us like a pile of bricks. When I see them I just imagine the fourteen year olds with YouTube videos. I can't help but find them all very attractive, I mean who wouldn't?

"No way, Hazel!" Michael literally yells at me.

Everyone around us starts to shout. I smile weakly at the them and give a small wave.

"Hi," I squeak.

Ashton grabs a handful of his wild dirty blonde hair. "What happened Pigtails?"

That nickname, he actually remembered it? The way he said it made my heart drop on the floor and die, then and there. I smooth down my long wavy brown hair and smile shyly at him.

"I lost em', I was such a geek back then so I lost the braces too and got contacts," I explained again.

Calum waved his hands around, his brown eyes wide with excitement. "Puberty!"

They bust out laughing, which makes the crowd go wild. I hold back my urge to cover my ears. I blush slightly at his comment.

"Y-yeah uh sorry about your shirt Luke," I point at the stains.

He grins,"Nah it's fine, if it weren't for that we wouldn't of seen each other."

Yeah it it weren't for that.

"Well it was really great seeing you guys again and uh Blay said hi, you remember her right?" I ask, inching my way back.

Calum's eyes lit up," Blay! Where she at?"

I'm surprised at how fast he remembered her, even the other guys were still trying to remember.

"She's uh somewhere in this crowd, if I see her I'll tell her you said hey Calum."

He nods happily; the other guys look at him with slight suspicion but I can see that they ignore it.

"Hey we need hang out sometime Hazel, for old times,"Luke said quickly.

I laugh,"Uh yeah maybe, but with these fan girls everywhere, I don't think it's even a possibility."

As soon as I said that I regretted it. Luke looked hurt, really hurt, his blue eyes turned a pale kind of shade and his smile faded. I felt bad, but not too bad. I mean, at least he knows how it feels to be forgotten and rejected.