Chapter Three

I woke up to the buzzing of my phone. Sluggishly I pull myself up to reach it. I lean against the headboard, staring groggily at my phone. When I push the home button I see that I've got two messages, and not very nice ones.

If we can't have Luke, you can't either.

I wonder if Luke will still like you if a rock hits your pretty little face.

Wow these threats. I knew hanging with Luke would get me hurt, even killed. I texted Blay about the messages while I got ready for school.

Be careful Haze, we can't go to the beach for the summer if you have a swollen face

I laugh while pulling on my sneakers and grabbing my purse.

Oh shut up

Jk :)

I walk out the door, saying bye to my parents and annoying but adorable little sister. When I close the door behind me the same van is parked in my street. I sigh, this is not possible, Luke's gonna get me hurt. But when I walked up to the van, ready to tell Luke, I see that it's not Luke at all.

"Hey Pigtails."

It's Ashton. I close my mouth, then open it again.

"Oh hey, I thought you were-"

"Luke? Yeah he told me what you said. Get in," he interrupts me.

I hesitate for a moment, but slowly get in, making sure no one is looking. Once I was in, Ashton sped off.

"He told me why you're so distant," he says lowly.

I look at him,"That's not the only reason why now."

Ashton arches an eyebrow, glancing at me. "What's the other reason?"

I take out my phone and fumble with it before I reach the messages. I keep my hand from shaking and show him. It's quiet for a moment while he reads them to himself. I can see Ashton's face grow serious, his lips in a straight line and eyebrows becoming furrowed.

"Well that's the joy of fans," he says with dark humor.

I nod slowly,"I'm kind of scared."

Looking out the window away from Ashton, I hear him sigh.

"I won't let them hurt you Hazel," he says bluntly.

I feel a lump in my throat, I can't look at him. But I do. His head is turned toward the road but his eyes are on me. I swallow hard, and reach for my bag but it's not here, only my purse.

"Uh... Shoot I forgot my bag," I groan and let my head fall back.

"Chill Luke's got it, you left it in the van when he dropped you off," he explained.

I smile slightly, he's so sweet.

"So uh..."

"Yeah?"

"The guys and I found this really cool garage that the city let us borrow, you wanna come around, we can sneak you in the van and take you there. No body knows where it is, not even the fans," Ashton grins brightly.

Those dimples.

"Uhm I don't know, maybe," I say quietly.

"Meet me behind the school."

Aston dropped me off in the parking lot where it was empty. Nobody uses the parking lot. I trudge my way to find Luke, without my bag I can't go to first period. Mrs. Snipe will bite my head off. I walk in the school, well try anyway. It's still crowed with fan girls and people I've never seen before. Where could Luke be? I'm guessing where the largest crowd is. I stand on my tip toes and scan the people. I listen for the loudest screams and shrieks.

Finally I reach my first class. Where smack in the doorway is Luke... With a huge crowd of girls around him. He sees me, I know he does. Pushing himself through, he gets to me, holding my red checkered bag.

"You left this," Luke chuckles, handing it to me.

I smile,"Thanks, now take your fans somewhere else so I can get to class."

Luke grins brightly, leaning in towards me," Bye Hazel."

When he walks away, so does the mob of fan girls, following behind him. They step all over me, even shoving me around with hidden anger. I rub my arm before walking into class and sitting in yet another empty classroom. Even Blay isn't here.

"Well well, these kids are certainly failing this class, thank goodness for you Miss Paisley," Mrs. Snipe snapped.

I nod slowly, feeling my phone ding. She hears it, but cuts me some slack and ignores. I take a quick glance and sigh loudly when I see it's another threat text.

Next time it won't be your bag that goes missing.

Well that's disturbing. I shove my phone in my pocket and do some workout sheets for the exam next month. Mrs. Snipe is doing this for the others guys to fail since they aren't going to class. As usual slowly students come in and Mrs. Snipe refuses to give them the study guide worksheets. When lunch comes around, I'm again thrown around so I just decided to eat lunch outside.

I'm tired of being trampled on. Surprisingly it's quiet out here, considering that the whole school is filled with fan girls and total strangers. I sit and start eating my apple, it's the only good thing here to eat.

"Hazel!"

I whip my head around in fear, dropping my apple. My heart is racing, then I realize who it is.

"God Michael, you almost gave me a heart attack," I looked down at the floor," And my apple..."

Michael chuckles and sits next to me. "Sorry, hey we haven't talked in forever."

"Yeah..." I look away awkwardly and remember what they did again.

He sees how uncomfortable I look and inches closer. "Look, Luke told me why you're so weird around us."

I roll my eyes,"well it looks like Luke is telling everyone isn't he?"

"I'm sorry Hazel, I really am. I was stupid and too excited about all the fame, and to be honest I really did miss you," Michael grinned genuinely.

I smiled back,"Well I'm glad you apologized and I'll admit, I missed you too."

He wrapped his arm around me and pulled me into sideways hug, I almost went into his lap. Giggling I tried getting away from his grasp but there was no use. Our fun ended, however, when a bunch of fangirls came hurdling toward us. Michael took my hand and yanked me with him, running full speed. I was literally a rag doll. Finally we hid behind the dumpster next to the cafeteria. We couldn't stop laughing, we just kept shushing each other.

"Do you want me to walk me to your class?" He whispers loudly.

I shake my head," And get trampled by another mod? I don't think so."

"Got it, see you later Hazel," Michael winks.

I smile,"Later."

The rest of the day is just the same. Being moved by the wave of wild people of the building. After school I wait for everyone to leave. When they do, I stand behind the school. The sky looks cloudy, but a bright loudly. I smile, thinking this might actually work. I see the van drive up and in the driver seat is Ashton, smiling that wide smile and dimples showing.

"Hey Hazel, get in," he says smoothly.

"Demanding aren't we?" I giggle.

This might actually work.