Chapter 28

Elincia silently trailed after Lady Sylvia as she and the other sorceresses walked to the magical transport vehicle that awaited them.

She'd wanted to stay and speak with Caspian, but Lady Sylvia had told her that they were leaving and she needed to go with them. While the woman spoke with her usual calm tone, and her expression gave nothing away, Elincia had a feeling that her guardian was upset with her.

"It seems like this tournament will be interesting," Lady Aakarshana said.

"Heh, yeah, especially since our little Elincia has made it quite clear who she's rooting for," Lady Aakarshaka agreed, grinning as she wrapped an arm around Elincia's shoulder. Striding up ahead of them, Lady Sylvia stumbled. "But, really, that was quite bold of you, Elincia, making it clear who you would like to have win before the tournament has even started."

Elincia felt her cheeks grow warm. "I-it's not—I mean, Caspian is my childhood friend, and we made a promise, so I—"

"Oh ho! A promise." Lady Aakarshaka's grin widened until it nearly split her face in half. "What sort of promise did you two make, exactly?"

Further ahead, still not looking in their direction, Lady Sylvia nearly tripped on the stairs as they walked outside.

"Ah, it was, uh..." Elincia couldn't remember when she had started twiddling her fingers. "... um, back when we were younger, Caspian promised that he would become my knight and I promised to be his sorceress."

"So, wait..." Elincia's ears twitched as Alexander spoke in his boisterous voice. "... does this mean there's no need for us to even hold this tournament?"

"Do not be ridiculous, young man." Lady Sylvia finally turned her head to gaze at them. Her eyes could've frozen over Tartarus. "This tournament is a time honored tradition that must be upheld. If a sorceress could choose anyone they wanted as their knight, then there would be no meaning to the laws, traditions, and values that have been established since the Sorceress Council was founded."

Her guardian's face looked no different now than it always did. Calm. Composed. An eternally youthful facade carved from alabaster. And yet... Elincia was almost certain that Lady Sylvia was glaring at her.

Did I... do something wrong?

"Oh, my," Lady Erica muttered, smiling from ear to ear. "It seems Sylvia is frustrated. Well, done, Elincia. Well done."

"Um... thank you?" Elincia said, unsure of how else to respond.

A pair of MAFTs waited for them outside. Magical Four-wheeled Transportation. Their sleek design and gleaming black exterior marked them as one of the higher end vehicles used to transport the elite. Elincia had ridden in them only a few times, which was due in no small part to the fact that she'd rarely been allowed to leave Lady Sylvia's mansion.

"Well, I suppose this is where we part ways," Lady Erica said with a mysterious smile that seemed to contain more than a hint of mischief.

"Oh, goodbye, Lady Erica." Elincia bowed to the woman.

"Such a polite girl," Lady Erica muttered before leaning in and whispering into Elincia's ear, "good job riling up that old bat."

"Eh?"

Leaning back, Lady Erica shook her head. "Nevermind. In either event, I'll stop by some time tomorrow to continue tutoring you."

"What do you mean 'you'll stop by to tutor her?'" Lady Sylvia interrupted.

"Oh, you didn't know?" Lady Erica grinned. "If you don't already know, then I'm afraid I can't tell you. It's mine and Elincia's secret." Lady Sylvia twitched. "Well, I shall see you all later. Bye bye, flat chests."