Chapter 35

Elincia was so relieved that she could have cried. Caspian had won. Against all odds, with poison running through his system, he'd beaten Julius, which meant that he was going to be advancing to the next round.

I'm so glad...

The crowd was cheering. It started softly at first, but it quickly picked up ardore. Jeers and boos were replaced with whistles and shouts. Even the people who knew and hated Caspian were now cheering for his victory. It made Elincia happy. Her friend, who'd been suffering alone all this time, was finally being recognized for his strength.

"That was some comeback," Lady Aakarshana observed.

"I was very impressed with that young man's fortitude," her sister agreed. "Not many people can fight like that while also fighting against a poison."

"Ufufufu," Lady Erica chuckled, "I would expect nothing less from that boy. He's such an amusing young lad." She glanced at Derek. "If only you would hurry up and kick the bucket, I could have him all to myself."

"That's so cruel, My Lady!" Derek began bawling his eyes out.

"Oh, relax. I'm just kidding."

Tiffania looked up at her Lady Erica with a child's curiosity. "What does 'kick da bucket' mean? Why would Armor Man kick da bucket?"

"It's merely an expression, dear," Lady Erica told the young half-elf with a fond smile.

"Please don't go teaching my sister anything weird," Collafloore sighed.

"Still, though," Lord Fuzen Taiga mused thoughtfully, "I am most surprised to see him win. I wonder, was it Lady Elincia's words that spurred him to victory?"

Elincia's cheeks became hot as she suddenly became the center of attention. Lady Sylvia's disapproving stare made her want to run and hide, while Lord Fuzen Taiga's observative expression made her feel like her soul was being laid bare. Even Lady Erica was staring at her with unmasked amusement.

"That's right," a grinning Lady Aakarshana threw an arm around Elincia's shoulder, "what was that you said? 'You have to keep your promise to me' or something like that. That was a pretty bold statement."

"Truly." Lady Akane placed a hand on her cheek, adopting a demure mien. "I knew that you felt strongly toward that boy, but I had not realized that your passion for him was so ardent. Now I almost feel bad for having my students compete to become your knight."

"Ah!" Elincia gasped. "I-I'm sorry!"

"No, no." Lady Akane waved her apology off. "There is nothing wrong with desiring to remain with the one you love. Please do not feel guilty."

"Love," Lady Sylvia sighed. "What an unnecessary emotion."

Elincia clenched her hands at this, but she didn't say anything. They'd already had this conversation, and it had ended with her and Lady Sylvia being on bad terms, so she didn't want to make it worse. And yet...

What's wrong with loving someone?

"Now, now, Sylvie," Lady Erica cut in with a smile. "There's nothing wrong with a young maiden falling in love."

Elincia wondered about that. Hadn't Lady Erica told her not to fall in love? Then again, it looked like she was merely trying to rile up Lady Sylvia, which she was surprisingly good at.

"Says the woman who's lost so many people, she's become bitter, cynical, and incapable of functioning without engaging in sexual intercourse with her knights," Sylvia said.

Lady Erica's smile became fixed. "Ufufufu, it is better to be sexually active than it is to be a cold fish, Sylvie. You would understand if you ever got laid. Ah, but you're such a prude, so I guess that's not going to happen. I feel so sorry for poor D'artagnan. He's never gonna get any with you."