Unworthy of Greenie Mart

"We just don't think that you're Greenie Mart material."

Lucas stared at his manager blankly.

"Are you firing me?" he asked slowly.

Blake sighed laboriously.

"Are you really going to drag this out?" he asked.

When Lucas didn't answer, he sighed again.

"Yes Lucas, I am firing you."

Lucas' jaw dropped.

"Well Fuck," he said.

Blake rolled his eyes.

"Exactly," he said. "Greenie Mart employees do not use curse words, for one."

"No one says 'curse words' anymore," Lucas retorted.

"They also don't fall asleep during shifts," Blake continued over him. "And they don't tell customers to find things for themselves, or leave crates of organic milk behind the fridges instead of in them."

Lucas could feel his eyes stinging despite himself. He didn't like Blake. He didn't want him to win. He also didn't want to beg but he needed this job.

"Can't you give me another chance?" he asked. "I'll do a better job! I'll try harder!"

His voice sounded whiny even to himself.

"I'm just the manager," Blake said. There was no pity in his blue eyes, just irritation. "The decision is already made. I'm just passing it along."

Lucas bit his lip, gaze locking onto his clasped hands as he attempted to hold in frustrated tears.

Another job lost. This was so not good.

"I think we're done here," Blake said.

Taking the dismissal, Lucas pushed to his feet and went to the door.

"See you at school," he muttered on the way out.

"Yeah, see you in class," Blake said.

Lucas shut the office door behind him and did the walk of shame out of the market. Some of the other employees watched him go but no one said anything. He'd only been working at Greenie Mart for about two weeks, so aside from Alex, Blake and Grace, he didn't really know anyone here. Luckily Grace wasn't working today and Alex was no where in sight.

Outside, it was a beautiful day. The sun had finally started to show up on a regular basis and the snow was almost all melted down.

Lucas turned his face up toward the sun.

"Fuuuuuuuuuuckkk!" he hollered. Two weeks of working in Greenie Mart and not being allowed to "curse" had nearly killed him. Not that he had actually stopped but the knowledge of the oppression alone happened to be stifling enough.

Everyone in the parking lot turned and looked at Lucas. A woman pulled her small daughter away from him, covering her ears and glaring at him.

"Sorry," he mumbled, and then when she passed him, still glaring, Lucas shrugged.

"Not sorry," he said under his breath.

She shot him a look and Lucas was too deflated to care.

The sliding doors shut behind her and suddenly Lucas was looking at his own image reflected in the glass.

There he was, skinny and dishevelled in the bright green uniform he'd had to spend fifty bucks on. His hair was a spiky brown mess, his eyes were puffy and tired looking, the normally hazel colour looked dull. He was an utter disaster in life and appearance.

Suddenly the door swished open, exposing Alex.

His friend froze when their eyes met.

"Hey," Alex said walking out to him.

"Hey," Lucas managed.

His friend was like a beacon of light next to Lucas, his hair was shining and hanging past his ears in a stylish way that Lucas had only ever seen celebrities manage but that Alex made look easy. He had a bright grin on his face and somehow, defying all laws of physics, the horrible green of the uniform managed to bring out the colour of his eyes.

"What are you doing out here?" Lucas asked, annoyed by his very existence.

"We got a complaint that someone was out here screaming and swearing," Alex said, laughing. "I came to chase them off."

He glanced around the parking lot and then his face fell.

"Oh god, it was you."

Lucas flushed.

"I got fired," he said.

Alex broke into a cheeky grin and Lucas really wanted to punch him.

"Oh man," Alex said, his words dripping with amusement and yes, Lucas really was going to punch him. "How many jobs is that this year?"

He laughed-cackled more like-and smacked his thigh as though it was the funniest thing he'd ever heard.

Lucas glared and swung for his friend but Alex easily ducked under the half hearted attempt and continued laughing.

"Dude, you go through more jobs than I do women."

"Whatever," Lucas snapped. "You're gay Alex, stop lying."

Alex attempted puppy dog eyes but it didn't work with the smile still etched on his face.

"Aw, don't be so sad," he said. "You'll get another job."

Lucas turned without a word and marched away.

"Aw, Lucas, do you need a hug?"

Lucas ignored him, seriously questioning his choice of friends on top of everything else.

"I'll come by with pizza later!" Alex shouted after him and Lucas didn't look back even though it was impossible to stay mad when pizza was involved.

Alex was forgiven.

The real problem was money and Lucas' serious lack of it. Thank god his apartment was covered but how the hell was he supposed to buy groceries? How was he supposed to survive without money for food or phone bills or anything else?

How the hell was he supposed to get through college without being able to hold down a job for more than a few weeks?

What the hell was so bad about him that no one wanted to keep him?

~

AN: Thank you for reading! If you liked this chapter please vote or comment. It would mean the world <3 (and imagine the gif above is the Greenie Mart uniform lol) Unlike the other stuff I've written, I'm writing this one as I go instead of getting a head start before posting so I hope that you'll bare with me. The story may be in need of some editing but I hope that you will let me know if you spot any big grammar/spelling errors (and go easy on me! :P)

Another thing to note, this story is loosely based on a manga that I read called.... IF YOU KNOW PLEASE TELL ME!!!!!!

I read it on Manga fox about a month ago and now I can't find it. I foolishly thought I'd remember the japanese name. The premise is the same though, about a boy befriending a moody boy at his college who turns out to be slowly losing his hearing. I'm not sure how closely I'll follow the story yet as I am planning on writing my own versions of the characters and themes but if you know the manga please let me know so that I can credit it! EDIT: it's called hidamari ga kokuro!

Oh one more thing! A warning for those expecting smut, this story will not have any sex scenes in it. I know... >.> But hey, if that's what you're looking for, my other story, Public Displays of Affection is pretty much all boyxboy smut so go check it out!

Thank you!! <3