Ain't No Sunshine When He's Gone

AN: Okay, I just wanted to put this little note here to say that I was so happy writing this chapter from William's POV. It was like being reunited with my child! <3

~

William stretched out his legs and arms. They were still sore from basketball practice the other day.

A grin overtook him and since he was alone in his room, William didnt bother trying to hide it.

It had been so long. He still couldn't believe he was playing again.

The feeling of his runners skidding on the slick wooden floor, the ridges of the ball in his hands... it was like coming home.

He almost couldn't remember why he'd ever stopped playing. Only when his mind lingered too long would it come back to him; the way he found it hard to talk to his teammates, was left out of every conversation, the way he'd mess up plays because he'd missed something in the game plan or didn't hear someone calling his name...

Technically, all those same problems should still be there, but here, at this school that had turned out to be the ultimate sanctuary, none of that seemed to matter.

Everyone was so understanding, so able to handle William's ways because well, it was normal. He was normal.

And now he had to leave...

William sighed heavily.

Even the two weeks away felt daunting.

True he wanted to see his mom badly but, last time he was back home...

Someone tapped William's shoulder, snapping him out of his thoughts. He turned to see his roommate Terrence giving him a sad smile.

Gonna miss you! he signed.

William smiled.

Barely, he signed back. Ill see you in a few weeks.

I wanna request being roommates again. Is that okay?

William raised a brow and managed to smile.

He nodded.

Terrence smiled happily and gave William a hug, one which, if he was honest, lingered a little too long.

The guy was nice. In fact, William had fun with him. They'd spent the past few months staying up watching movies and Terrence had been the first person to really help William out with his sign, which was rough at first since William knew so little of it.

The campus was full of students catching up on classes for the summer or getting extra credits and Terrence was one of them, tucking a few more science credits under his belt.

William's sign crash course was at an end now. Fall semester started soon, along with a full course load and whatever words he didn't know yet, he would have to work out on his own time to make sure he was up to speed.

He should have been nervous about that, not about the prospects of running into Lucas again.

Instead of school though, his thoughts were filled with his ex-boyfriend as he walked down the cobble steps of the campus with his bag in tow.

Why was it that his heart still hammered with excitement at the thought of seeing him? Even knowing full well that the encounter would be nothing but painful all over again.

He glanced back at the school, wishing he could stay a little bit longer but caught sight of a few friends from the basketball team and grinned and waved back at them.