Chapter 1: It was my birthday?

Nico's P.O.V

The sunset was beautiful, the colors were soft and calming. It was a sight that I can't miss even on days of war. I tried to ignore that for now. Try to live as peacefully as I can. I was leaning against a tree, enjoying the view.

Then I noticed that the shadows started to pull me towards them, trying to wrap themselves around me. I'm not afraid of the shadows or the darkness. They are my abilities, why should I be afraid? But the thing that bothers me is that I wasn't the one controlling them.

At normal circumstances, I would try to stop the shadows but I decided against it. Let's see where they'll take me. As I closed my eyes, feeling the dark figures wrapping around me, I slowly melted into darkness. Traveling through the world of shadows. It was a familiar feeling and place so, I didn't mind.

Once the shadows stop tugging, I opened my eyes. Adjusting my eyesight and checking my surroundings. It seems that they brought me to a familiar throne room. The room was large, a splash of black and grey here and there. I saw a few skulls on the wall.

I already knew where I was. I noticed the radiation of power coming from the skully-fied (if that's a word) throne. I turned to the throne to see a familiar face. It was the Lord of the Palace. The God of the Underworld, Lord of the Dead and Riches. It was Hades, my father.

I bowed to show some respect and asked. "Father, you called?" The man before me looked down at me with pity in his eyes. I don't know why he felt pity for me, and I didn't question. "Son, I recalled that today is your birthday, is it not?" My father asked.

I blinked once, then twice trying to process the question. "Nico." He raised his voice to capture my attention. I snap back to reality and answer his question, unsure. "Indeed father, it's my birthday."

Honestly I, myself couldn't remember my own birthday and I'm awfully surprised that him of all people remembered my birthday. Hades slowly rise from his throne and walk towards me. "I have something for you." He handed me a box.

A nicely wrapped box, assuming it was a present. I was starting to think that I woke up in the wrong planet. I was hesitant on taking it. Hades must have noticed because of what he said next.

"You should take it ... your mother made it." That hit me right in the spot. My mother? I just stood there shock for a second, then regained my composure and managed to take the gift. I thanked my father with pure gratitude.

Then my father did the most unexpected thing in the universe. For the first time in my entire life, my father smiled. Yep folks, the God of the Underworld, SMILED. This has confirmed my suspicions, I had woken up on the wrong planet.

I was just about to leave, but my father said one last thing before I went. "Nico, good luck. You're going to need it." Me, confused as ever just decided to nod and fled the Underworld. Once I reached camp and into the safety of my cabin, I wanted to open the present but I was too tired. I'll open it tomorrow. After I changed, I jumped into my bed and fell asleep.