Chapter 6 - Sam

"Good morning, Cindy," I said, surprising our receptionist. Chadwick construction was a fairly large firm but had a small office staff. Most of the workers were in the field. I swam in both pools.

"Sam!" Cindy said with a pleasant smile, "We weren't expecting you until tomorrow."

"Unfortunately, we ran into some problems," I said seriously, then smiled back. "Fortunately, it allowed me to surprise Natalie last night."

"Having a happy wife has to be better than a happy boss," Cindy joked. I noticed she changed her hair again. About twice a year she did something dramatic to it. This time, it was cut short, almost boyish, and dyed a deep brown. It made her look a little athletic although I knew strenuous activity wasn't on her agenda.

"Why will I be unhappy?" Jerry asked, walking in behind me. He leaned over the receptionist counter. "You can always get a new wife; bosses sign the paycheck." He was in his gray suit, the one he wore when he wanted to impress someone. That someone was never me.

"I had to delay the Pinckney project," I replied, "probably another three months." Jerry waved me into his office with a grunt. "Nice hair," I complimented Cindy quietly, though I liked the last style better. The lie was worth her smile. I followed Jerry.

Jerry signaled for me to sit in one of the chairs in front of his desk as he went to the credenza to start the coffee pot. There was always a fresh pitcher of water next to the coffee maker. I suspected it was Cindy's duty. Probably why she'll have the job forever.

"Why am I eating $150,000?" Jerry asked. He didn't look at me as he continued prepping the pot with filter and coffee. Delays in a project of Pinckney's size were about $50,000 a month. It was planned for, so most of Jerry's words were bluster.

"Carbon content was too high," I sighed. "I had to reject the steel." I am the materials expert for Chadwick construction. It took five years to get the engineering degree and to this day, I am still surprised that anyone trusts me to handle the task. I had Teegan to thank. The events that she unknowingly triggered as a baby steered me into the life I know today.

"The building had better have fallen, or I'll have your ass," Jerry said as he poured the water.

"It wouldn't have handled the lateral stresses we planned for," I clarified. "Earthquake or high winds would have weakened it greatly. I refused to sign off though Alloy Partners was pushing hard."

"Screw them," Jerry said as he moved to his desk. "I want you at the mill when the new bars come off the line. Let's test them there so that we can shorten any further delay."

"I just got back home, Jerry," I complained.

"Yeah, I know. Happy wife and all," Jerry said as he shifted some papers around on his desk. "How is the family?"

"Fine," I said, then sensed a trap, "but they won't be if I'm always on the road." Jerry laughed. I guess he was going to use my 'fine' against me.

"How about you do a quick back and forth early next week? One night?" Jerry asked with eyebrows raised.

"I could do one night," I replied.

"Good, I don't trust Alloy Partners as far as I can throw them," Jerry continued. "You look over the New York project?"

"Briefly," I answered, "I'll take a better look this morning. What I did see looks good. No glaring red flags."

"I'll want you at the kickoff meeting on the tenth," Jerry ordered.

"No problem."

"Sanders is taking the lead, and I don't want another screw up like last time," Jerry said, making a fist and knocking on the desk. "Let him know that he can call you if he runs into a problem, okay?"