Chapter 8 - Caleb

What I thought would be hell was almost enjoyable. Teegan's family was not what I expected. Her mom and dad weren't as judgemental as I had envisioned. Her grandmother was the greatest surprise. I could only describe her as a flower child from the sixties. She didn't dress the part, but her desire for free will and happiness was contagious. In fact, the only fault I could find was her strange love of Bob Dylan. I always found his music too dark and raspy. "The words were the key," she had told me. For her sake, I would try his music one more time. Maybe there was something I was missing.

Mrs. Fuller insisted I come by again in the future. I could tell the request embarrassed Teegan, so I hesitantly agreed. It was a light promise anyway, meant at the time, but rarely enforced by either party. Strangely, I think I had made better inroads with Teegan's family than I had with Teegan herself. She was friendly enough. There was just no strong connection beyond the hand-holding that steadied me in the beginning.

I hated that Teegan saw my fear when I first arrived. Driving around the block four times before I finally committed had done little to lower my heartbeat. Her hand did wonders, and I didn't want to let go. It was done in friendship, at least on her side. When she first took it, I had an incredible desire to kiss her. It would have been the wrong time, and she probably would have sent me packing.

The family test was over. I was probably the only one grading it, but I gave myself a 'B.' Teegan didn't seem to disagree, her smile was real enough as we climbed into my car.

"Was it as horrible as you thought?" Teegan asked as she buckled into the front seat.

"Actually," I said, making sure my smile accented the words, "it was nice. I like your family." Teegan laughed unexpectedly.

"I think they liked you better than me," Teegan joked. I started the car, pleased with her humor. It wasn't true, but it was good to know that they liked me.

We traveled with few words. My brain was seizing up on discussion topics beyond school. After we had discussed the study group coming up, I turned on some music to fill the void. Teegan was comfortable with the silence. Asking her to the prom was the only thing in my head, and I was at a loss on how to bring it up. I knew we needed more conversation. Going to the prom together would require that we could hold a conversation. I decided to be honest, which was probably stupid.

"I can't think of anything to say," I said, looking ahead down the road. At least my eyes had something to do.

"Do you think we need to talk?" Teegan asked.

"Yes," I replied, "the silence seems wrong." I began to wish I had stuck with the silence.

"Maybe, I don't want to talk with you," Teegan said. I looked over in shock. She wore a large smile that went all the way to her eyes. I looked back to the road feeling my lips curling.

"You had me for a second," I admitted. Why did I enjoy her playing with me?

"You're easy to tease," Teegan said nicely. "You'll get better with practice." I looked over to find that smile aimed at me again. There was pride in it.

"You plan on teaching me?" I asked.

"Every chance I get," Teegan laughed. "Your cheeks blush, and you get a panicked look on your face. It shouldn't be fun, but it is."

"I guess you're right," I said, attempting humor, "it's hard for me to understand the weaker minds." I looked over and found her looking away, her hand near her eyes. I looked back at the road in a panic. "I...I'm sorry," I stammered, "I was trying to be funny." I couldn't believe I started this conversation. I looked back to find her trying to stifle a laugh.