Chapter 31 - Teegan

Panic invaded when reality returned. I felt outward, begging God to sense my brother. Caleb smiled into me, and Zane's link, steady and warm, resided exactly where it had always been. It was subtle, like a calm sleep. It was then I realized I wasn't in a parking lot.

"You're awake," Dad pointed out the obvious. He was sitting in a brown leather chair with a bare wood frame. I was on an elevated bed, white sheets and blankets. A quick look around verified I was in a hospital, alone with my father. Caleb confirmed my observations. "You've been out for over 12 hours," Dad added, his smile showed his relief.

"Zane's okay," I said, the words dry and raspy.

"He is," Dad verified, "your Mom is with him now." The memory of the man's mind, the one who pulled the triggered came back to me.

"That guy was hunting me," I said. I couldn't stop the tears. "It's my fault Zane was shot."

"Shhh," Dad said, moving from the chair to the bed. "Nothing's your fault. It's never been your fault. The world if full of crazies."

"I was in his mind," I cried, "he liked doing it. He's killed so many people, and it made him feel good." Dad pulled me into his arms and smoothed out my hair like I was ten. I wished I was ten again.

"He'll never do it again," Dad said quietly. I pulled my Dad closer and felt Caleb ending an argument with his parents. He was in the lobby and headed my way. Grace and Jack were no longer on my side, not with bullets flying.

"Caleb's coming," I said, and Dad released me. "I've ruined him too," I realized out loud. Caleb disagreed with a pulse of demanding love. I wanted to drive it out, save him from being around me but I was weak. I drew it into me and let it grow. His song was my song. My song was death.

"I think Caleb has a different opinion," Dad said, humor behind his words. "The doctor said it was Caleb's quick thinking that saved Zane. I've always liked that man." It wasn't lost on me that Dad called him a man. I tried to smile, but it was because of me that Zane needed saving in the first place.

"Your Uncle Hank has been calling," Dad said. "He sounds frazzled, and I suspect he wants to hear your voice, make sure you're okay." Caleb walked in, some blood still on his clothes. He had been here the whole time waiting for me to wake up. His smile brought out mine. I was his curse, and he was my hope. "I'll check on your brother and let your mother know you're awake," Dad added, kissing my forehead before he left Caleb and me alone.

"I thought I lost you," Caleb said. "You were swimming in the psycho's mind and..." I pulled him close and shut him up with a kiss. He was my strength as well.

"Thank you for saving Zane," I said, my lips a hair's width from his.

"That was you," Caleb said, crawling onto the bed with me. "I suddenly knew all about sucking chest wounds." All that had happened and he was trying to get closer, lifting the sheets and ducking under with me. We wrapped our arms around each other and merged with the music.

"Dr. McGuire," I commented, stroking Caleb's lovely face. He still hadn't cut his hair, and now I didn't want him too. It was him, floppy on the outside and strong on the inside. His hands quickly found that I was naked under my gown. I felt his smile grow inside as his perceived beauty of me became apparent. The truth of me was camouflaged in his love.

"Ma'am, I believe you're in need of a thorough examination," Caleb joked, his hands finding skin no one else ever touches. I tried to remain serious, but his emotions were too strong. If he had his way, we would lock the door and grow old in bed together. I gave in, my body defying my mind's need to assess recent events. All I could think of was Caleb.