Chapter 10 - Teegan

We returned to a very crowded Tangerine. It pleased Wendy to see the number of people who paid to see the concert. We had to wait in line at the front door to get in. I guess we could have gone right to the front, but it seemed rude to cut. The line wasn't that long, and it gave us time to people watch.

"They must like the Smooth Gliders," I said to Wendy.

"We won't fill a colosseum, but we'll never starve," Wendy replied. "We're in talks with PBS. That will send album sales through the roof if it pans out."

"I thought that's old people music," I said without thinking.

"Usually," Wendy said with a smile, "it's great music played by old musicians. Young people don't donate to PBS."

"Sorry," I said, "I didn't mean..."

"No worries," Wendy interrupted, "you have an ass, I have wisdom." She made me laugh. For some reason, I felt the need to link my hands behind my back and cover my butt. I was happy she laughed with me.

"Hello, Matt," I said when we finally made it inside. I flashed my wristband, and he smiled at me, glad that I remembered his name.

"Where's your boyfriend?" he asked. I let it go since I would probably never see him again.

"Practicing," I said, "or waiting for me." He waved us in with a kind nod. I felt special being recognized by the bouncer. It's my first club, and the bouncer knew me. I'm in the in-crowd.

We moved through the tables, some with no seats, and made our way to the front. Wendy grabbed my hand and drove point. I followed with a large smile on my face. I could feel the excitement building. From the bits of conversation I could pick up, there were people here who followed the band around the country. I had never heard of the Smooth Gliders before, but they obviously had some groupies.

Our table was waiting for us, complete with a reserved sign. I knew I had a ticket, but didn't realize it was front row.

"We have the best seats in every dive," Wendy shouted above the din. I smiled as she dragged me to the table. 'We' meant the significant others of the performers. It wasn't a date, but I was Caleb's guest. Right then, I was a special guest, and I couldn't be more impressed.

Caleb met us at the table. He was so pleased when he saw us I thought his smile would break his face. He must have spent his time explaining why the best table in the house was saved with only one person sitting at it. He said something to me, and I nodded, having no idea what it was over the din. I followed his hand signals and sat next to him.

"I thought you'd be backstage," I said, leaning into his ear.

"Tom will call me up at intermission," Caleb said, his breath tickling my ear. Unless we wanted to shout, talking directly into ears was the only way to communicate. There were simply too many people in the club. "I got a pitcher of raspberry lemonade," he continued, pointing at the pink colored juice in the center of the table. "Is that okay?"

I leaned into his ear and voiced my approval. A shiver ran down Caleb's body that made me smile. I guessed my breath tickled him as well. Caleb began pouring me a glass while I leaned over to Wendy and asked her if she wanted some. I half understood the lack-of-vodka decline. I smiled, knowing enough not to pour her a glass.

Caleb handed me a glass. I took a sip and thanked him by moving lips to form the words. He smiled, so I knew he understood. I thought back to the discussion I had with Wendy and decided it was a good time to find out things. It wasn't like we could have an argument with all the noise.

"Do you think this is a date?" I asked into Caleb's ear. His head moved away quickly, and he looked into my eyes. I saw a mixture of fear and wonder. Maybe I had made a mistake. Maybe I should have asked after he played. Confidence came over him, and he leaned to my ear.