10-Peek-a-boo.

The next day, Logan, Ash, Max and Ellie were the only ones to keep me company. Gemma was not feeling good and Amber would be coming in for the second half of school. She was representing us at an art competition in a different school. Terry had left for New York last night to join his soccer team for an inter-school match. Ash had been frantic about the result of the match and had kept messaging their coach till we took her phone away from her.

                                                                        The lack of three people meant that four of them would have to do extra duty to walk with me. We were all standing near my locker, discussing how to adjust for the day. My phone buzzed in my pocket and separated from the group to check it. It was a text from Jonah.

Jonah: I need your help.

I looked back at the rest of the group, who were still busy arguing about who walks me for last period. I quickly replied.

Me: Sure. What's up?

Jonah: Not over text. Outside the gym after last period.

- I'll drive you home if you want.

Me: Sure. I'd appreciate that. :)

                                                                      I put my phone back into my pocket and returned to the group. "So what's the plan?" I asked. "We've sorted out who's going to walk with you, but all of us have after school activities today." Max said. "What activities?" I asked. Logan spoke up. "I have a date with Ashley Cho this afternoon." He said proudly. "Max has his chess club meet, Ash is taking a train to New York to meet Terry and Ellie is staying back for God knows what." He finished with a flourish.

                                                "You know very well that I'm staying back for a make-up test, Lo. Lee if you don't mind waiting for about an hour, then I can drop you home." Ellie said. "Actually, you don't have to worry about driving me home. Jonah wants some advice about something and he's offered to drive me home after we talk." I said. Everyone nodded except Max. "Are you sure you can trust that guy?" He asked, crinkling his nose. "I'll find out." I shrugged. "Seriously, what does he want to talk about?" Ash asked.

                                                                    "Okay. So we had a deal about him not saying anything to Matt right? So I obviously owed him for keeping his end of the bargain. So as a reward he asked me for Amber's number." I said. "Oh my god!" Ash squeaked.

"What?" Max and Ellie looked unsure as to what they should make of the situation

"What?" Max and Ellie looked unsure as to what they should make of the situation. Logan simply nodded. I guess he had been in Jonah's shoes very often. "Apparently, he's been wanting to ask her out for a while, but never had the guts to go up to her." I said. Ash rolled her eyes.

                                                                   "I don't blame him. Amber can be really intimidating." She said. "So can Ellie." Logan piped up. Ellie scoffed. "I am anything but intimidating. Tell him." She said to me and Ash. Ash and I exchanged awkward glances. "Why aren't you talking?" Ellie asked. "Because we'd be lying if we agreed with you?" Ash framed it as a question and winced when Ellie gave her an outraged look. That look quickly shifted to despair.

"Am really that intimidating?" She asked in shock

"Am really that intimidating?" She asked in shock. I simply rubbed her arm and led her to class.

                                                                    I couldn't say it was a very interesting school day. I had been prepared for the pop quiz our Chemistry teacher sprang on us, gym was only running, which I did without paying any attention. The day had been mundane, with no new controversy to make it interesting. At least you have Jonah to talk to, I comforted myself as I waited for the last period to get over.

                                                                    The bell rang and I literally ran out of class. I sent a good luck message to Ellie and headed to the gym. Everyone was walking out of school as I reached the gym. I peeked inside. The entire basketball team was there, including Jonah and (insert eye roll) Matt. I hid as Matt and the other boys began to walk towards the locker room to get changed. I messaged Jonah to tell him I was waiting and went into the girls washroom. He replied after about ten minutes

Jonah: He's gone. You can come in.

                                                                   I waited for the other basketball players to leave before I entered the gym. Jonah stood wearing his Flash t-shirt. "Hey. What's up?" I asked him. He sat on the bleachers and asked me to join him. "Is this about Amber?" I asked as I sat beside him. "Yeah, it is." He said. "Tell me." I said. "That day before I left you told me not to do the common stuff for the date. I looked up sporty activities, but they're all way out of my budget. I was hoping you would help me plan it." He said. "You need help planning a date." I chuckled. He frowned. "Don't make fun of me. I want to impress her!" He protested. I raised my hands in surrender.

                                                                   I thought for a while before saying, "Hey! You could take her out for paintball!" Jonah considered it. "Come on! It's affordable, it's fun, it's a team building exercise so you'll get to know her. It's perfect." I said. Jonah nodded slowly. "Sounds good. I think I'll do that. Does she like fast food?" Jonah asked. "Hot dogs." I said. Jonah grinned. "Cool. Thanks Lee." He said and shouldered his bag. "Ready to go home?" He asked and I nodded.

                                                                   I got up and got my bag. But before we could start walking, the doors opened and Matt walked in, staring at his phone. "Hey Jo! Guess who got us tickets for this basketball season!" He looked up from his phone and his gaze landed on me. He stopped and looked at Jonah. "What's going on here?" He asked, pointing at the two of us. I gulped. This could not end well.
A/N: Hey everyone! Thank you so much for 1k reads ! I love you!
-D   :)