21-Don't You Care?

ELLIE'S POV:

THURSDAY AFTER SCHOOL. 

                                                                        I pulled my earphones out of my ears and stuffed them into my bag as I walked up my driveway. The car wasn't in the driveway, but I could usually count on Aunt Rose being home. I opened the door and let myself in. I was right, she was sitting on the couch, flipping through a magazine. 

                                                                       "Hello Auntie." I said."Hello Ellie! You're finally home." She said and scrambled to get her bag. "You're going somewhere?" I asked as I set down my stuff. "Yeah. Just supposed to be meeting a friend in-", she glanced at her watch, "-ten minutes!" She exclaimed. "Were you waiting for me?" I asked. "Yeah. I was." She smiled sheepishly. "You didn't have to! I could've gotten the keys from our neighbour!" I said.

                                                                       "It's depressing to come home to an empty house, is it not?" She said. I rolled my eyes playfully. She was always looking out for me. "Where is Logan?" Auntie asked. She began walking towards the door. "Detention." I said. She huffed. "I need to have a good talk with that boy. I'll see you soon honey." She said and left.

                                                                       I brought out last nights lasagna from the fridge and heated it up. Then I trudged upstairs to my room. My room was on the highest story of our house. When Logan and Auntie Rose had moved in, I had shifted to the attic, letting Logan have my room and leaving Auntie to occupy the guest room permanently. 

                                                                       I loved my room. It sounds depressing at first- sleeping in the attic. But it's actually a very enjoyable experience. I had large windows facing east-ish, which meant that I woke up to natural sunlight every morning. I had a sloping ceiling, which was nine feet at the highest point (above my study table) and around five and a half feet at the lowest point (at the foot of my bed).

                                                                       Logan's room was below mine. It was piles of unwashed clothes, obscene posters and possibly outdated food lying under the bed. I had stopped entering his room after I stepped on an old burger one time. Of course, Auntie Rose had given him a very stern talking to, after which he maintained cleanliness, but I never took a risk again. If he wanted to talk, he would come to my room.

                                                                        I finished eating and began to work on my assignments. I was researching a history paper when a loud bang from downstairs indicated that Logan was home. And he wasn't happy.

                                                                       "Logan?" I called out and went downstairs. Logan was in the kitchen, rummaging through the fridge. "Hey, you okay?" I asked. "Why isn't there anything to eat?" Logan poked his head out from the top of the fridge door. "There's some cereal in the shelf." I said. Logan shut the fridge and opened the shelf. "What's wrong?" I asked him again.

                                                                       He huffed. "I was leaving school and I saw Gemma." He said grumpily. "Okay." I said slowly, waiting for him to continue. "She was with Matt and Jonah." He said. "She was with Matt?" I raised my eyebrows in surprise. He nodded. "I bet she just ran into him or something." I said.