Chapter Three

Authors Note: Don't forget to comment. I love to hear what my readers have to say whether it's good or bad. Your comments are always taken into consideration and I appreciate them a lot. Happy reading :)

Chapter Three

The sun rose the following morning, bringing with it grey clouds and cold snaps of wind.

I blinked open my eyes, confused to be staring at my bedroom ceiling. The faint smell of sandalwood, tickled my nose. I turned on my side, pulling my duvet up over my shoulders. My muscles were tight in an uncomfortable stiffness and I racked my brain as to what happened last night.

I stayed in my cocoon of warmth and safety. Normally on a Saturday morning I would get up sharp and go for a jog down around the river Cam and The Baks, then I would spend the rest of the day surfing the web and reading history books. Right now my mind reeled about last night. The image of that thing imprinted permanently behind my eyes.

I must have been exhausted to imagine an ungodly creature, sneering and leering at me so much so, I passed out. I was just about to fall back into slumber when a loud crash of tins and pans echoed throughout my apartment. I jumped at the sound and threw back the covers. Ignoring the throbbing pain in my head, I leapt out of bed and stood by my bedroom door, which was slightly ajar.

That was when I realised I was still in my clothes. I hadn't bothered to change, not even to take my coat off. Heart in my throat and my pulse leaping around my body I peeked through the gap of the door. I could see the mess that was of my open space apartment. Clothes that needed to be ironed folded and placed on top of the sofa. Newspapers, plates and coffee mugs covered the surfaces in the kitchenette and my books strewn all over the coffee table in front of my tiny television. I should really tidy up.

Then I saw it, a glimpse of a dark shadow. It was tall and slender. It was doing something in my kitchen. Maybe, I didn't imagine what happened last night. I rubbed my face with my hands, hoping that I was still seeing things. I could hear it shuffling and doing something. Was it washing up? I didn't know many attackers that brought their victims home and did the washing up. Edging closer, I almost tripped over my dirty laundry on the floor, sending me flying into the door and slamming it shut.

I cursed myself as I heard the thing outside drop what it was doing. After that there was silence for a brief moment and then a slight tap on the door. I reeled back, looking for something to protect myself with. I clocked my broken lava lamp on my bedside table. Grabbing hold of it I stared at the door handle as it turned to open. I raised the lamp up above my head ready to throw it at the creature.

The door creaked open to reveal a shadow of a person. Black as night and slender as a supermodel, It had no features and to what I was looking at, no clothes. I exhaled loudly and relaxed my arms, placing the lamp back down. It was Aunt Celia's familiar.

"You scared me." I said, looking at the wispy silhouette.

It gave a slight shrug of its shoulders, before disappearing back into the kitchen.

I followed it. Sure enough the shadow had been washing up my dirty plates and cutlery. It walked round stacking the rest of the mugs and tidying the newspapers into a neat pile.

I noticed it had started making breakfast. With the smell of toast wafting around, my stomach growled with hunger. I couldn't remember the last time I ate something. I have been so busy. That would explain why my clothes were almost hanging off my body.