iii.

song(s) inspired for this chapter: creature fear by bon iver and sara by fleetwood mac.

'''

continued from the last chapter.

'''

Never change, never stop. Fleetwood Mac, Sara.

---

Declan's dad was a drug addict.

When he told Adeline about it, she didn't look at him with pity, she just nodded her head. 

But Declan couldn't hide the fact that every time he looked at his father, he saw pills. Pills on the wooden scratched up bedside table. There were at least fifty of them. That was the last time he ever saw his father. His addiction killed him. Literally. 

Declan didn't do drugs. Yes, he smoked and drank unhealthy amounts of alcohol, but he would never follow after his father's footsteps. His past life had been so messed up. Declan's mother was the subject of a perfect wife and mother. Her platinum blond hair, flawless face, perfect body. Everyone wanted to be her. To look like her. 

They wouldn't have wanted to be if they knew what their life really was. 

Behind close doors, they wouldn't have seen how she had bruises on half her body from her husband hitting her. They wouldn't have seen drugs and alcohol scattered everywhere. They wouldn't have seen the only child they had, downing vodka to escape the sad thing he called his life. They wouldn't have seen Declan smoking joints every night. 

They only saw the perfect mom, the husband, who every woman wanted, and the striking-blue eyed son, that was a stoner, that they couldn't control.

The only flaw they saw in the Hawthorne family was Declan. Little did they know, he was far from all the reasons that his family was crazy. 

His mother is alive. Broken, but alive. His mother, Jessica Hawthorne, knew that he was so freaking tired of the horrible life he was living, so he was going to leave. Declan was going to attend college, trying to use some money that was in their bank account. They were awfully flawed, but they were very wealthy. Then, he would travel. Declan has always wanted to travel and see the full beauty of the world.

Declan knew he could do anything in his life if he wanted too. He could be well content with his life. But, he knew he was missing something. It was love. So, when he locked eyes with the most beautiful hazel orbs, while standing at his locker in sophomore year of high school, his heart burst out of his chest. 

He was thankful that she wasn't like any other girl. Adeline knew real beauty. She wanted to travel the world, like him. She would smile, and would have two dimples stick out. He wanted to go out with her so bad, already knowing how beautiful she was, not only on the outside but on the inside.

Two weeks later, he finally had the nerve to ask her out. She of course, accepted. And here they were five years since their first date and are immensely, irrevocably, in love with each other.

'''

It was Declan and Adeline's last day in Georgia. They had to get on the road soon, to get to Birmingham, Alabama.  Both of their feet were sore from the previous walking in the past few days. They had explored Atlanta and took some pretty great photos. But now, they were exhausted.

Currently, right now, the were walking around, just enjoying the nice day.

"Hey, do you want me to stop over at that shop and buy us some snacks for the trip?" Adeline asked Declan. "Sure. Please get me that popcorn that I've been liking recently." He replied, smacking a sloppy kiss on her forehead. "Boom Chicka Pop?" She asked. Declan nodded his head.

Adeline walked across the street, towards the small shop, that was in a sketchy area. Feeling uncomfortable, she made her way to the shop's entrance door and felt stares piercing into her back. She turned and found two men, who looked to be a little older than her, looking at her with infatuation. 

Adeline hurried into the shop, as fast as she could, and piled snacks in the basket she was carrying, and rang it up at the cash register. She payed, and then exited to find the two guys still there. Adeline felt an arm encircle around her waist. 

"Well, who are you?" A deep, male voice, spoke. She could smell the marijuana. Before she could answer she was dragged back into a dark alley. A scream erupted from her mouth. "SHUT UP!" Another guy said. She shuddered. Feeling their palms holding her so hard, she knew there would be bruises there the next day. Adeline let out a sob. "WHAT DID I SAY!" The guy yelled. She felt stinging on her face, and knew that she got slapped. Crying, she collapsed onto the concrete floor, and huddled into a ball, feeling the pain.

"Get up!" She whimpered in pain. Slinging her across the wall she felt as if she broke a rib. Then, she heard a voice that brought hope. "Ad! Where are you?!" Declan's deep voice, loud, erupted, and she wanted to scream for him but he had already found her. 

Looking at the two males and his girlfriend, in a dark alley, he felt anger pierce his heart. He saw bruises forming all over her body. But, one the stood out the most. A large red hand print was plastered onto Adeline's face. Never once, ever, had Adeline been hit. Not by her parents, not by Declan, not by anyone. And here she was lying on the ground, completely in pain, and knowing that she didn't do anything to deserve it. 

Adeline was sobbing. Every time she shuddered or shook, her face broke out in pain. Feeling completely hopeless and fearful, Declan's fist rung in the air. One thing for sure, Heaven was not coming for those two guys..

'''

YAY! Chapter 3 is up! Oohh... What is going to happen next?? Don't worry, chapter 4 is coming soon. What did you guys think about Adeline's little incident? What is Declan going to do? 

Keep reading to find out.

Lots of love, Alexchenson.

P.S. Sorry for such short chapters, I have very bad writer's block.