01. I'm Not A Boy!

Just when I thought life couldn't get any worse other than my failing grades, my Father wanted me to transfer to a school where he says that it's where I can surpass my own limits.

I'm not the kind of person who thinks I'm a natural born perfectionist or whatnot, I'm just the average kind! This was all nonsense and I have to disagree for once.

"Dad. I refuse the idea." I said as I mustered up the courage to speak.

"You can't back down from this, Araki. It has already been decided."

I swear, I can feel my eye twitching in irritation. 'He is being unreasonable!'

Right now, arguing with my Father wouldn't be such a good idea. He has been the one raising me and I can make my own decisions until I'm independable enough to take care of myself. We are currently at the living room having a small pep talk. Just the two of us in an atmosphere filled with absolute suspense.

Dad had his dark face on, and it means that I shouldn't try to talk back anything or give any whatsoever reasons, and it make things more complicated for me since I didn't agree on this in the first place. Dad isn't a grumpy type of father, he just doesn't want his precious little bird flew out of its nest and be free.

At least let this bird experience something new, my dear father.

And I am referring to myself.

Because of my boyish look that they raised me with since I was in kindergarten, how the way I look didn't bother me at all. But as soon as I realize that it's pretty wrong to play pretend, my middle school days were the same as kindergarten.

They ask and I answer; They question me about my real name and etc... But as years passed by I was adapting the fake me, and I have to for the sake of my parent's desire.

"Araki," Dad spoke up in a husky and low toned voice.

"Y-Yes?" I answered, stuttering.

Araki- such a boyish name for a girl.

"You are to attend Kunugigaoka Junior High and that is final. Try to understand the situation we're in. You wanted to be someone who could guide people out of the darkness, right? That was your dream when you were still young, remember?"

I lowered my head, feeling a bit guilty. He's right. It's been my dream to help others have their happy endings by being true to themselves.

I gave up after hearing those words, I didn't want to transfer but I also didn't want my father to have a hard time managing things that he can't do alone. Ever since he and mom divorced, he's been keeping up with our financial needs as a family. But...

He's suffering... I know it.

With that single nod of agreement coming from me, Dad stood up and walked away with a smile. "I know you'll understand." As he looked at the wall clock behind him, he noticed that it has been past my curfew. "Well, it's getting late. Better pack your things for tonight, because the day after tomorrow, it'll be our new start." He says as he gave me a closed eye smile.

I smiled in a simple way, "Y-Yeah. Sure, Dad... Good night."

"Good night, Araki."

He left the living room and went to his own bedroom while I stayed there, lost in thought.

I don't know what or how to react after answering dad with a stubborn reply. I was unsure of my own answer, though.

'Stupid.'

I let my body fall on the couch and slowly drift into sleep, not even bothering to sleep in my own bed.

"Such a boyish name for a girl.."

◽◻⬜❇⬜◻◽

"Araki! Hurry up! We're gonna be late!" Dad's voice outside rang through my ears as my eyes fluttered open.

Wait.. what time is it?

I glanced over to a clock nearby... "What the-!? Shoot!"

I remembered the events that had happened last night and I was still on the couch but I guess Dad checked me in and covered my body with blankets.

I hastily went to the bathroom and took a minute shower, not minding to brush my messy hair in its signature state. Once I got out, I took a quick glance at the clock again and my eyes literally popped out.

"Shoot!!!"

On the way to Kunugigaoka, my father was lecturing me to no end. I stared outside the window and heave a sigh.

I'm late for school and this is my early punishment? Geez.

"You seriously need an alarm clock there, Araki. Take note that this is your first day in an elite private school. I wouldn't want my son to have a bad impression on his first day."

Dad kept on lecturing me all the way until we reach our destination. To be honest, I'm a bit nervous but excited at the same time. It felt as if my heart is about to burst. And the funny thing is, he calls me "son" than "daughter," and he than she and etc...

From the day I was born, my parents were hoping to have a son as a child, but sadly, it was me who came to their lives. Other than my name and appearance as a boy, even my clothes were taken as a male.

Leave the underwear and my upper garment behind.

But ever since Mom left me in Dad's custody, my reputation as girl faded away. I didn't know how to be a lady that I'm supposed to. I was more athletic than a boy, very active but quiet. I'm the type of person who is more food and less talk. And to be fully honest, my father taught me a higher level of self-defense. But it was a few years ago and I don't know if it's still in me anymore.

I never get that chance to show it off or have the chance to test out my ability. But soon enough, when I get that chance, I won't go easy on anyone.

As my father taught me on how to be a boy rather than being a girl, that idea alone sounded very crazy to me. But I love anything that's crazy. Knowing on how much they wanted a son, I gladly go with the flow.

If it's a son they want, then it's a son they'll get.

~ End of Chapter ~
"I'm Not A Boy!!!"

Reedited on April 23, 2017

Thank you for reading!

- Mikey U. (Author)