Original Orders Stand: Part 15

The next morning Eric and Tris walked into the meeting room to meet with the other leaders. They were going to debrief about what had happened yesterday with the factionless. As Tris sat down with her report she noticed Max looked unusually tense. Stealing a glance at Eric he just shrugged his shoulders as if to say that he had no idea why. Once Max called the meeting to order, he turned to her first to hear what she had to say about the missing weapons. "From what I was able to see, there was a wide range of weapons that were missing. No more than 5 of each kind of gun, but there are over 100 guns missing. From going over the inventories from the last year or so, there have been about 8 guns a month going missing. Whoever is doing this knows what they are doing. They have to know the security system and how to avoid it." As she was saying this a sickening thought struck Tris. Four. No there was no way that he could be involved with this. Why would he? What could possibly be his motive?

"Thank you Tris. Now on to other business. Jeremy, I need you to look into something. I think I know where our security breech might be, but I need to be sure. I need you to keep an eye on Four." As he said this Max watch Tris closely. Noticing this, Tris schooled her features carefully, allowing only a small amount of surprise to come through.

"Why?" She asked. "What did he do to cause alarm?" Max turned all his focus on her. He raised his eyebrows.

"I would think you already know, as you sent him to me. Last night he came to see me. Demanding to talk to the prisoners that we had brought in. I normally would have not allowed this, but given the situation, we had the cell set up with listening devices, so I allowed Four in. I was hoping that at some point of having him here, the traitor would show himself and he would implement himself. While this did not happen, per say, there is enough suspicion now on Four. He was rather frantic to talk to the man. He was also questioning me where he got the weapons, not asking him. Which leads me to believe that he wants to know how much we know. So Jeremy, I want you to watch him. He has access to all the cities and factions cameras." At this Tris gasped. "He..." Everyone turned to Tris. "What is it Prior?" Tris was fighting an internal battle. Did she tell leadership about Four listening into their meetings? If she did, it would throw that much more suspicion onto him. Plus if he was listening to this meeting he would already know they were onto him. She had to think of something.

"Nothing. It's nothing." Grabbing her tablet, Tris started to frantically type. Once she was finished, she handed the tablet to Eric. She watched him as his eyes grew wide. He looked at her then he gestured to Max. Everyone in the room was watching them in silence. Tris nodded her head and Eric passed the tablet to Max. On it she explained her conversation earlier in the week with Four about him listening in to the leadership meetings. Though she still had strong feelings for Four, she was not sure if they were still feelings of friendship or if they were negative feelings. Right now she just knew that she needed to do the right thing for her faction, even if it meant betraying the man she once loved. She sat there silently musing. If this was true, if Four was in fact the one responsible for the missing weapons, he had long ago betrayed dauntless and her. It would mean that he was betraying the faction that she loved even before she joined. Had she ever really known him? Hearing Max exhale sharply, Tris looked up, bringing her attention back to the meeting. He had finished reading what Tris had come up with and he glanced at her.

"Well Prior, are you sure it's nothing? I am not sure I believe you..." Max said. Tris took a deep breath.

"Well Sir, to tell the truth, I think that you are wrong. I don't think that Four is the one that is behind this. I think that you are looking in the wrong direction. He might be misguided, but he is no traitor to dauntless. I think that you will be wasting resources by watching him. I think that we should be spending our time questioning the prisoner than following Four around. We will get more answers that way. I truly believe that Four is a dead end." Max looked at her hard and nodded his head. He turned to Jeremy, who was just finishing up reading the tablet. He looked up, meeting Max's gaze.

"I agree with Tris. I think your time will be better spent with Eric questioning the factionless man that he brought in. Get what you can out of him." Max looked down, scribbled something on a piece of paper in front of him then looked back up. "Meeting adjourned. We will meet again in a few days to brief on what Eric and Jeremy have been able to get out of the prisoner." When he stood, they all stood, but he held a paper silently out in front of his chest. It read: Original Orders Stand. We all left the meeting feeling unsettled, knowing that one of our own was wanted for treason.

A/N-Sorry for the short chapter!! Hopefully the next will be a bit more in depth.  But I felt this one was important to get in.