Uncertainty: Part 19

A/N-Sorry this is so short!! Just wanted to get something up!! More to come-it's in the works :)

Tris sighed as she walked behind the gurney. It had been a long day and watching the process of the autopsy was one that she would rather forget. She had just watched a man get cut open, blood drained, brains cut out, and organs taken out. All in search for what she considered the obvious. He had two very large cuts on his wrists and significant blood loss. To her it screamed suicide by cutting of his wrists. But they had to be thorough. His blood was being tested for any contaminants as they walked and should be ready by the time his body was disposed of. Tris had them take extra samples just in case the first round was inconclusive. She was leaving nothing to chance. What was bothering her was who in the world he had gotten a hold of something sharp enough to cut his wrists open. Eric's questioning had obviously hit a nerve with the man even if Eric had thought they had not come up with anything to substantial. He had rattled the man enough for him to take his own life. But the security was so tight, there was no way that objects sharp enough to cause that sort of damage could have gotten past. Thoughts like these continued to plague Tris as the medical examiner gave her his report, ruling the official cause of death suicide. The blood work came back clean. Nothing abnormal in his system. Tris gathered the report and continued on her way, following the body to the crematorium. She watched as the body was placed in the crematory, the doors locked and switches were turned on. She then proceeded to pull up a chair, and sat for the next 20 minutes. She would not leave. She would see this through to the end. There was no way that anything was happening to this body on her watch. Once she was satisfied, she made her way to Max's office, report in hand.

 * * * *

Tris fell into bed an hour later, alone. She had not heard from Eric in hours, since they had walked out of the debriefing together. But the events of the evening had taken everything out of her. The emotional drain of everything that Eric had told her, the stress of what had happened with the prisoner. Tris's body was shutting down. Her eyes closed of their own accord. She mind barely registered feeling the bed dip next to her a few hours later, the room still black. Tris felt Eric pull her back against his chest and bury is face in her neck. With his warmth against her, Tris felt the stresses of the night melt away. She let out a sigh and drifted off to sleep again.

* * * *

Eric laid there, holding Tris listening to her breathing for close to an hour. At first his mind swirled with events of the suicide, but quickly they turned to when he was talking to Tris earlier and her reaction to his past. She had not reacted quiet as he had expected. She had been horrified, as most are when they find out. However, she was supportive of his mission. That surprised him. He thought she would try to talk him out of it. She seemed the type to not want to fight if one didn't need to. But there was something that bothered him about her reaction. When he told her that his mother was killed by a divergent. Her color had left her face. This caused Eric's heart to drop. It couldn't be possible. There was no way that Tris was one of them. He would be able to tell. He could spot a divergent a mile away. They were predicable in their unpredictability. Tris was not like that. But what if? What would he do if she was one? Eric could no longer fight what he knew to be true. He was in love with Tris. The only thing left was how to tell her and when. But what if? If she turned out to be a divergent, could he still love her? Knowing what they were capable of?

Thoughts like these kept Eric awake for over an hour. When they became too much and threatened to overtake him, Tris seemed to sense this. In her sleep, she shifted and turned over and wrapped her arms around his waist, burying her face under his chin, right over his heart and held him tight. Eric tightened his hold on her, closed his eyes and inhaled deeply. Taking in her scent, he vowed to love her no matter what. She could never be like them. She was not psychotic. She was not a murder. She stood for justice. She would do what was right, even if she was a divergent. She would just have to be his divergent. Could she be HIS divergent?