Confessions: Part 23

Eric pulled back from Tris. With their heads only inches apart his eyes bore into hers. Emotion swirled in both of them and it was displayed in their eyes. After a moment Eric broke the silence. "Tris, promise me something." Tris nodded. "Ever since what happened with my parents I have kept myself closed off, afraid to let anyone in. If we do this, promise me that if anything chances, you're honest with me. Don't leave me hanging. Just cut me loose. After them I have never let myself love anyone else, but you broke me down and I can't deny it any longer." Tris smiled and rubbed her thumbs across Eric's lips.

"I promise you that if anything changes, you will be the first to know. However I don't see that happening. The longer I spend with you the deeper I fall in love with you. You're like a magnate for me. The harder I try to stay away the tighter I get pulled in. Even before you moved in, you were all I thought about. The one man that I never thought I could love is the one man I can't live without." Eric's eyes cleared of all worry and only love shone through at Tris's confession. "Now you have to promise me something." Eric nodded. "Throughout our relationship, we have to keep our 100% honesty policy. Even if it will hurt, we have to always be honest with each other. It is the only way that this will work."

"I agree." Eric said as he leaned his forehead against hers and closed his eyes. Holding Tris, breathing in her scent, Eric felt at peace for the first time in almost half his life. He never wanted this feeling to end. Moving his hands to grasp her hips, he drew her mouth back to his. Taking his time this time around, he explored her mouth. Knowing that this was the first of many kisses to come, he felt now need to rush. Wrapping his hands around her, he pulled her flush against him. Tris brought her arms around his neck and held his head tight to hers. As the kiss deepened, Tris felt herself flush and heat rushed to areas that Four never awoke. Pushing herself against Eric, she heard him groan. Tris felt a rush of power. As she was about to do it again, Eric pulled away. Confusion flooded Tris as she let her hands fall to his chest. Eric brought his hands to grasp her face. He pushed her hair back away from her face.

"Tris, as easily as I could go along with this, I want to do "us" right. There is no rush. We can do this when the time is right and we are not just caught up in the rush of new feelings. I love you. That is not going away. We have all the time in the world." Tris smiled.

"Thank you, Eric. Though I think that if we were to pursue this tonight it would not be rushing. But I agree with you. Let's do this right. And to do that, you have to swear that the next time it gets to this point, you won't stop." Tris ran her hands up and down his chest. Eric let a moan slip.

"I swear."

"Good." Tris continued to lightly tease her hands over Eric. She watched as his eyes grew darker.

"Tris, you had better be sure of yourself and what you want if you are going to keep this up." Tris felt a thrill run though her, but she forced herself to stop. She was satisfied with knowing that Eric wanted her as much as she wanted him. But she agreed with him. It would seem to fast if it happened now. Tris wrapped her arms around Eric's waist and leaned her head against his chest, right over his heart. She listened to the steady thudding. She smiled. His heart was hers, the real her. Finally.

Later that night, Tris crawled into bed, where Eric was already. He looked up from the book that he was reading when he felt Tris next to him. The sheet was draped casually around his hips and his glorious chest was on display for Tris's pleasure. She knelt next to him for a minute and allowed her gaze to travel his body. When she brought her eyes back to his, she smiled a giddy smile. A smile played on his lips. "What are you about?" Eric asked. Tris shrugged her shoulders, pure contentment flowing through her. Tris took Eric's book, marked the page and tossed it on the floor. Eric arched his pierced brow. Tris laughed at his expression. Positioning herself under the blankets, she pulled Eric down.

"Time to snuggle. No more reading. I want you to hold me." Eric's grin got larger. He scooted down and pulled Tris against him. He reached up and flicked the light off. Her head was resting once again on his chest. Eric let his hand wonder her back as his other stroked her arm that was draped across his stomach. He still couldn't believe everything that had happened in the last 24 hours. He still had a hard time admitting to himself that she was divergent, but he would learn to come to terms with it. For now, he finally had everything that he wanted. He had her.

Tris felt her eyes getting heavy as she willed herself to melt into Eric. His hands were doing wonders on her body. With every stoke they pushed all her stress aside. She allowed herself to truly relax for what seemed like the first time since coming to dauntless. As her mind started to drift off to sleep one word kept repeating in her head as she held onto Eric. Mine.