Nightmares ~ CHAPTER 3

Thx everyone for reading, voting, commenting, adding to your library, etc.

Chapter dedicated to: Alphabet and greendayluver101. Thx guys!!!                                                      

This time I will be requesting at least TWO votes and TWO comments before I upload the next chapter!

This chapter is basically all about Emma and her mum going to the psychologist. I hope you like it!!!

Enjoy,

           Cait      :)

                                                                         CHAPTER 3

The rest of Emma’s day went by in a breeze. After finishing her breakfast, Emma had gone with her mum to do the weekly shopping and then she came home to feed her Cat, Bazza his favourite food. Now Emma was lying in her room, contemplating the outcomes of next day.

                                                                                                                                                                              The psychologist! She thought. I can’t believe that I actually agreed to that! Emma sighed. She definitely regretted her decision, but she had to go. She knew it, and after all the nightmares really annoyed her. They still scared her stiff, of course, but she had gotten used to that, with every nightmare she had though, it just got more and more annoying. It would be heaven if she was ridded of the horrid nightmares forever. Realising that, Emma came to the conclusion that SHE WAS going to the psychologist, no matter what!

Driving along the road watching the diverse range of speeding cars race by, Emma was having second thoughts about the psychologist again. But as soon as they came, she pushed them right away; she didn’t want to chicken out, especially since they were almost at the psychologist. Her mum drove their car - a silver ford falcon - around a corner and into a street with a blue street sign reading: BERELY RD. Although it was a road, it didn’t seem to be that busy, in fact there were actually no moving cars at all; only cars parked in drive-ways and on the side of the road. Emma’s mum pulled over on the side of the road and turned the car off. “Here we are!” she exclaimed with a big sigh, as they both got out of the car. An awkward silence came about when Emma didn’t bother to reply, so they walked up to the door in silence and rang the bell.

“Hello!”Said a female voice with a lot of enthusiasm as the big wooden door opened, revealing a tall framed woman with red hair. “Hi Amelia, oh, you must be Emma!” the woman exclaimed. Emma said nothing. “Oh, I’m sorry, I’m Dr. Gilbert, but you can call me Liz!”  Emma briefly managed a “Hi,” with the corner of her mouth forcefully pulled up as her excuse of a smile. “Oh, come in, come in!”

Dr. Gilbert ushered Emma and her mum inside the house, revealing carpeted wooden floorboards, with the beige carpet torn up at the sides and matching beige walls with a zigzagging crack sprouting down from the white ceiling here and there. Emma could tell that the carpet had been newly vacuumed, to try and make a good impression despite the ragged sides of the carpet. Dr. Gilbert hadn’t done a great job of the vacuuming for sure; Emma could see the lines the vacuum had made across the carpet because some areas were clean while others were as dusty and dirty as a rat. Well, maybe not that dirty, but Dr. Gilbert still hadn’t done the best job of it.

“It’s right this way,” said Dr. Gilbert as she escorted Emma and her mum down the ragged hallway and to a room adjacent to the front door, then stopped as she changed her mind and began to walk towards another door at the end of the hallway. “Do want some tea, coffee or, possibly, water, before we start?” She asked as an afterthought. “Ah, no thanks.” Emma quickly replied; she just wanted to get it over and done with. To Emma’s annoyance, her mum replied, “Coffee please,” and smiled. Then Dr. Gilbert pointed to the door she almost walked through before, “Go and get seated in there, I’ll be right with you – I’ll bring the coffee too of course!” She added, before disappearing behind the door, which Emma guessed was the kitchen.

The new room they were in looked way better than the hallway. The walls were still beige, but the carpet was a dark navy blue and looked very fresh and new. There was a polished wooden desk with a glass covering in a corner and three huge red leather seats on the opposite side of the room; one of them on one side and the other two opposite, with a small coffee table in the middle. Emma and her mum sat down on the pair of seats, her mum resting her bag beside her chair. Dr. Gilbert came in with a plain white ceramic mug, steam wafting up from what smelt like coffee. Dr. Gilbert placed the mug on the coffee table, pushing it toward Emma’s mum, then grabbed a clipboard and pen from her desk and sat down in the chair opposite Emma. “Hope its good coffee!” She laughed, obviously trying to start conversation and to lighten the mood. Emma’s mum took a sip and began to smile while nodding her head.

“So,” Dr. Gilbert began. Let the unexpected begin, Emma thought. “Nightmares, I hear,” Dr. Gilbert continued on. “What about?” She asked. “Ah......” Emma had trouble answering these questions. She knew the answers, but just had trouble saying them out loud, in fact she never said them out loud; she just couldn’t. “Um.....” Emma’s mind was racing; I won’t say it! I can’t! Emma was suddenly on the verge of a mental breakdown. “Have you told your mum before?” Dr. Gilbert said, recognising Emma’s stress over the question. “What?” Emma replied, confused and surprised to hear Dr. Gilbert say that. “Have you ever explained your Nightmare to your mum?” Dr. Gilbert elaborated. “Yes, she has,” Emma’s mum quickly put in. “Ok,” Dr. Gilbert wrote something down on her clipboard. “How about your mum explains it then?” Emma realised that she had been holding her breath. She quickly exhaled, not wanted to suffocate herself. “I can see that you have some trouble talking about it, so your mum can tell me instead.” Emma’s breathing slowed as she relaxed.

Emma focused on controlling her breathing and her breathing only, as her mum explained the extent of Emma’s nightmare; Emma did not want to hear a word of it. In, Out, In, Out, In, Out. “Emma?” Emma heard her mum speak her name. Snapping out of her reverie, Emma realised that she hadn’t heard one bit of her mum explaining the nightmare. Phew. “Yes?” Emma managed clearly. Dr. Gilbert began again, “It’s seems like a very drastic nightmare, how long have you had them, when did they start?” She asked. Emma’s mum jumped in for her again, answering the question easily; this was one of the first questions always asked about Emma’s nightmares. “She’s had them ever since I could remember; they probably started when she turned about 4.”Dr. Gilbert nodded in reply, writing down rapidly as Emma’s mum talked. “Ever since then, she’s had them every night; there’s never been one night that she hasn’t had the nightmare.” Emma’s mum concluded. “Well, it seems like the nightmare is either caused by an event she experienced earlier in life or a simple case of night traumas.” Dr. Gilbert explained. “It’s definitely not something she’s experienced!” Her mum answered, almost desperately. “So it must be night traumas.” Emma’s mum stated. “Is there anything we can do about it?” “I was just going to talk to you about that,” said Dr. Gilbert. “Well, you see, night traumas are a type of sleep disorder and, well, in most cases, it’s, - usually permanent.” Dr. Gilbert said it in pieces, to slowly break it to them.

Emma shattered.

The nightmares were permanent.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And that’s the end of the chapter!!!

As I said before I will only upload the next chapter if I get 2 votes and 2 comments, so get voting -and commenting- peoples!!!

Cait :)