Nightmares ~ CHAPTER 4

Hi guys!

This chapter is dedicated to Alphabet and greendayluver101 once again for their continual support of the writing of this story and especially to xHelloWorldx, for the new and improved (not to mention amazing) cover for Nightmares! It perfectly fits the story perfectly and ticks all the boxes, so thank-you again!

And before you go reading this chapter I would also like to thank you for taking your time to read this! It means so much. I am alsso going to be revamping the whole story before eventually continuing on with it as I'm not particularly happy with the standard of my writing (I began writing it awhile ago).

Thanks and I hope you enjoy this chapter!

Cait xx     

CHAPTER 4

After leaving the psychologist in a dazed state, Emma and her mum came home to a silent house. Emma ate her dinner in a no-response, zombie-like mood, not bothering to start any conversation or small-talk with her mum.

She went to bed, expecting the nightmare again. It came at its usual time; around 2 o’clock in the morning. This time though, her mum did not come rushing in, to the rescue.

She was all alone this time.

Emma suddenly began to cry.

Out of all the times her mum had come, hugging her, reassuring her that it would be ok, Emma had never once cried or shed one tear.

Emma had known that it was always just her being brave; she would never cry full-on in front of her mum. But now, all the weariness, sleepiness, sadness, whatever she felt, came toppling down onto her wall of defence. Her armour of bravery collapsed all around her, as she let the tears pour down her cheeks.

She cried and cried, soundlessly and irrationally. Why am I crying? She thought to herself. She was being completely irrational, going all out, and crying like this. She dismissed the thoughts of why she was crying; it doesn’t matter, who cares if I cries! She thought again.

The tears began to pour out even more.

“Meow,” a giant ball of black fur, jumped upon Emma’s bed and came to lie on her lap. It was Bazza; Emma’s beloved cat, that she had got for her 14th Birthday and he had come to rescue. He purred lovingly as Emma cupped his little head in her hand, scratching behind the black cat’s ear, but still keeping her head in her other hand. Emma smiled at Bazza and wiped her tears away. She could feel that her eyes were all red and puffy from her crying spree, so she pulled a tissue from a box nearby, being careful not to push Bazza off her lap, to wipe her tear-stained eyes. “Oh Bazzy Boy!” she said, exasperated and whispering so she didn’t wake her mum. That was Emma’s nickname for Bazza; Bazzy Boy, which all her friends thought was strange, but Emma didn’t care. She threw the now-wet tissue on to the carpet. “What would I do without you,” she snuggled up to him, lying down on her bed and pulling the covers half over her. “I love you” she said kissing him on his head and purposefully slurring the word “love”, when she said it, so it would sound like “wuv”.  She closed her eyes, still holding onto Bazza with a loosened grip so she wouldn’t suffocate or strangle him and slowly drifted back into a dreamless sleep.

***

When Emma woke to her alarm Bazza was gone; probably off to do some errands of his, like catching his daily mouse or to go and meet with his catty friends. She got dressed in some random clothes as she didn’t really care what she wore and collected her homework and schoolbooks to put in her bag. “Hey,” her mum welcomed her as Emma stuffed the books in her bag. “Hi,” Emma quickly replied with a weak smile turned up to her mum. Emma didn’t want to talk, but she at least knew that she had to be polite. She zipped up her bag and slung it over her shoulder. She began to walk away but then her mum stopped her. “You need some breakfast, Hun, and anyway it’s too early to catch the bus; you’ll be waiting there for ages.” Emma shuffled back into the room and walked hurriedly over to one of the cupboards. “I’ve got a muesli bar and –” She paused as she grabbed a nut muesli bar from the cupboard. “I’ll walk.” She finished, ripping the muesli bar wrapping off and taking a bite as she began to walk towards the front door. As she unlocked the door she turned her head and shouted back down the hallway, “Bye - see you tonight.”