Hook, Line and Sinker

INTRODUCTION

You can call me Ky. It’s short for Kyla. The name by the way is Kyla Simmons.

I am the only daughter of a well-known prosecuting judge here in Illinois.

I grew up longing for a father’s love and never knew how good it feels.

Jack, that’s my pop, works as an executive in a pharmaceutical company here in our country. He rarely meets my mom and me, because of his work schedule.

I grew up thinking that fathers really don’t see their families because they make the money families spend every day. Little did I know, we weren’t the only family he was supporting...

I still remember that day when our school bus dropped me off at our house.

I went home running to my mom, hoping to surprise her with a “Mom! I’m home! I got 2 stars today at class! I read the little red riding hood book aloud in class! Teacher said ‘very good Kyla’ after I finished reading!”

But imagine to my surprise, at the young age of 7, I witnessed my mom and pop having a huge fight in the kitchen. They haven’t even noticed me standing there gawking at the scene before my eyes:

“No! We can’t work this out Jack. See, Kyla is still too young to understand our current situation. Do you think she’ll be thrilled when she learns that her father’s been messing around the neighbourhood?”

That’s what I heard from my mom, while she leaned on the kitchen sink for support while sobbing.

I honestly thought at first that she was re-enacting a scene from a television series and doing it in front of pops.

It was just the mention of my name that caught my attention.

Then pops spoke.

“I know, I have done wrong, but come on Ness, we don’t need a divorce. Can’t we just compromise? I want Kyla, you want her, what do you think will happen if we separate? Who’s going to gain custody then?” he said with a voice I haven’t even heard him use before.

That’s when I knew the situation wasn’t getting any better.

I started crying my eyes out. Which in turn startled the hell out of the both of them.

It was mom who spoke first.

“Kyla baby! You’re home already!” she said with forced cheerfulness.

“Why don’t you watch television first upstairs while me and pops talk about something down here huh?”

Honestly. That’s what she said to me. Like I’m a freaking 3-year old that doesn’t know a fight when she hears it. I, in turn, answered her.

“Mom, I’m not stupid!” I shouted back at her. “I’m already seven years old and I know what you both meant. I don't want you to leave me! Please." I managed to pry the words out of my mouth as I continued to plead.. up to no avail.

I cried and flung myself on the floor. 

I didn't care that I was still wearing my uniform. Who even cared about dirty clothes in a situation like this? Who, I ask you?

My outburst, made my mom cry alot, in return. 

Sadly, my efforts of keeping them together was all in vain.

"Kyla. Do you want to be with your Ma, or with your Pops?" asked my mom softly after kneeling beside me.

She tucked the tendrils of my hair beneath my right ear as she waited for me to answer.

I couldn't answer. How could I? 

I recalled their fight, and remembered that it was mom who wanted to leave my father. 

That suddenly made me fluster up in anger. 

Maybe mom didn't want me around anymore. 

"Pops. Do you still want me to be your daughter?" I tugged at his hand. 

He looked down on me and I saw a shadow pass through his face. 

"Yes darling. You're the sweetest thing I have ever had in this world, in this life. Pops is so glad to have had you in his life as his lovely daughter." While he was saying this, he patted me.

I beamed at his words.

All those years of hoping he would give me his affection, all of those years of being angry at him for not being with me..everything was gone in that instant. Forgiveness dawned upon me.

"So does this mean, you're not gonna leave me and ma behind?" I wiped my tears quickly and brushed the dust that clung on me.

I looked up and expected to see Ma smiling...

But she was not smiling.

Instead of the happiness I expected, Ma went to Pops and snatched my hand from his grasp. 

She was raging with fury. 

Until this day, I remember how her eyes blazed like wildfire, and how dark her presence became. 

 "How dare you feed my daughter's mind with words of lies! Have you no shame??" 

"Mom, what's happe-"

But she wasn't finished. 

"If you ever lay your hands on her again, I swear to God, no one will ever recognize your body, or even your corpse for that matter!"

My dad was too stunned to speak. He opened his mouth but words never came out. 

Maybe this was also his first time to hear Ma talk and act like someone else.

"I-"

Just when Pops finally mustered the courage to speak up, Ma pushed him towards the door. 

"Get out! I'm tired of trying to deal with you and your crazy problems. Don't drag my daughter into this chaos you yourself have made!"

And when I thought she was already through, she gave her final words.

"You should have thought twice before doing that blasted thing." 

My father left.

I kept crying like hell, hoping he would make a run for it and take me with him.

But he never did.

The last memory I had of him was of his back, silently retreating into the shadows...

XOXOXOX

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Oweee. This is one of my books, one of my babies. I actually wrote this before 'Sunset Shadows' and I thought, "Why not? I'll post it too." 

This is somehow based on some sides of my life, so if there are some parts that are coincidental, then maybe we have quite the same experiences! hehe.

Let me know what you think, then imma edit the first chapter and upload it as soon as I can.

The Sunset Shadows is on hold for now. :)

Take care you all. :))

Vote, comment, share your insights and I will love you forever. 

xoxox

-gentle moonweeb. c: