5- Unexpected 'visit'

Chapter 5

As I placed Chum inside an old carton box, I noticed that the right of its hind legs had a small pouch bound to it by a thin string.

I carefully uncoiled it and checked the pouch.

It had a small figure-keychain of a small blue star.

I wondered why it was wrapped in one of Chum’s paws but then I dismissed worrying.

As many might say, worrying will get you nowhere.

So I deposited the curious item inside one of my drawers, planning on getting back to it when I had time.

 I grabbed one plastic bowl that was clearly not being used for a long time already.

I tried to scrub the dirt off, and when I thought my work was satisfactory, I filled it with the dog food Todd chose from the pet store.

The thought of Todd made me aware for the first time since I arrived home that he told me to call him, so I called. But I only got his voicemail.

“Hiya. I came home around half an hour ago, I’m sorry I didn’t call sooner. I guess I was just excited taking care of Chum. He has eaten one can of puppy food already if you’re planning to ask. Well, I only got your voicemail so I think you’re the one who’s gotta call me back. Well, there, I called already. Later!”

Can I make myself a bigger fool than I already am? Ohmigosh. I still can’t believe I told him he’s going to call me back.

I don’t know if that came out as flirtatious or whatever, but I am seriously hoping he wouldn’t think that way or anything worse.

Chum was chasing his mangled tail when I got back to him.

I tried to catch his attention but it appeared like he was really enjoying it. So I left him at it for a few minutes.

I went to get the soap and shampoo and also decided to call for pizza since I forgot to cook my supper and I remembered that mom was at an out-of-town business trip and she will be away for like, a week.

That means I have the house to myself for 7 long days! Especially now that our summer job is finished and it’s only three weeks before classes start.

I pondered on what toppings to choose then gave my order and address through the phone ordering system. They told me to wait for half an hour so I decided to use my time for waiting to give Chum a bath.

Let me tell you that giving a bath to puppies is very hard. Now don’t even get me started on cats. That’s a whole lot of a different story.

So as I was saying, I cleaned Chum of all the filth that was on him for probably a long time already.

And I can only say one thing:

All those struggling paws, sploshing water, tangles in his matted fur and soap in my eyes were worth it.

You know why?

Because after the said bath,  I couldn’t even recognize the ‘before’ Chum.

The ‘after’ Chum was so cute and fluffy. It was even cuter than I thought it was.

Its fur, instead of what I thought was dark brown, was really a very light and soft and thick mocha-brown.

He actually didn’t have wounds or any of the sort.

And what amazed me the most was that it really wasn’t thin.

It was like it didn’t even go through starvation, which I was starting to suspect, really did not.