7- Player? Bitter? What the hell is going on?!

Chapter 7

When I woke up, I was already lying in my own bed, with lots of blankets wrapped around me and a cold cloth compress on my forehead. There was a glass of water beside me and some medicine. A thermometer was also there.

I tried to sit up from my position and saw that Todd was sleeping on my dresser chair.

One glance on the clock at my bedside told me that I have been sleeping for a while.

I took one of the many blankets and got out of my bed and draped it over Todd.

I hoped he wouldn’t wake up, but he did. He stirred from his sleep and looked at me.

“What the hell are you thinking, getting out of bed? You have a fever. Get back there or I’m going to have to carry you myself.”

He used a tone I haven’t heard him use before, and somehow, I liked it.

It sounded bossy and concerned at the same time.

“Oh really? Try me!” I stuck my tongue out like a five-year old.

Little did I know, he was dead serious.

As he stood up, ready to carry me back, I took him by surprise.

I gave him a playful peck on the cheeks.

“See? I’m alright. I don’t need to sleep anymore.”

I took his hand and placed it on my forehead.

“Wow, okay. Maybe you are after all.”

He appeared to believe me, but he just stood there.

“Where is Chum by the way? I haven’t seen him all day.”

I was currently looking for my star necklace when he asked me that.

“Uh, I woke up with him missing. I haven’t seen him all day too.

But the thing is, I also woke up with something on my neck. Something I found on Chum, but I don’t remember where I placed it, now it’s lost too.”

“Hmm. Interesting. What about th”

He didn’t get to finish his sentence when we heard a sharp bark.

“Chum!” We both shouted. Chum emerged from beneath my bed. Apparently, he just hid under there. He really wasn’t lost.

“Now why the hell didn’t I think of that? I looked for it in every corner, I forgot to look under my bed.”

I had a hunch that Chum hid the necklace. I went to check under the bed, maybe he hid it there or something.

Oh yes, I saw something, but it wasn’t a necklace or any of the sort. It was another black body bag. This time, I didn’t scream. I just stood from my position and tried to act as calm as possible.

“Hey Todd, are you hungry?” I didn’t notice the time, it’s already noon.

“I skipped breakfast by the way, maybe that’s why I had a fever.” I said with a shrug.

We both trotted to the kitchen, with him following behind me.

“I have a boxful of pizza from last night, two bottles of orange juice and two green apples,” I said as I poked in the refrigerator.

Todd crept up slowly on me and took the pizza from inside the ref.

“Why don’t I heat this in your microwave and you just sit there on the countertop and relax?”