6- Say What??

Chapter 6

I slept with my light on and with Chum cuddled up beside me,

When I woke up, I started to panic..

Chum was nowhere in sight. I was sure I closed my door when I slept, so surely, it wouldn’t have escaped? And if it did, which is really impossible, it wouldn’t have the chance to actually get outside the house. I remember bolting all the doors too.

I scrambled out of my bed, still groggy with sleep but I tried to focus. But as I started to stand up and push the covers away from me, I had another shocker.

I felt something hard and cold and heavy hanging upon my neck, and when I checked it, I was wearing the keychain-like pendant I saw from Chum yesterday. Only it was bigger.

The blue star was shimmering in the sunlight from the windows and for a moment, I couldn’t move from my position. I just stared at the object like it was something out of this world. Maybe it really was.

How it latched itself unto my neck, I would never know.

Great. What a great way to start my morning. Discovering my newly adopted pet is missing and getting freaked out by the item of curiosity now dangling on my neck.

My first instinct was to call Todd and inquire about Chum. Maybe he took him.

But..how could he possibly? I was certain I locked all the doors and entrances to the house, and I certainly slept with Chum snuggled up to me.

I sat at the foot of my bed and thought the events over.

This has to be one of those dreams, where the details are so real, you’d think it’s reality.

Well, if it is, I am hoping to wake up soon.

Then as I pondered as I was, I absent-mindedly twisted and pulled at the pendant. My fingers traced its surface slowly, causing me to discover something in its centre.

There was definitely a small area with inscriptions, somewhat more like engravings.

I was so curious I jumped away from the bed and ran towards my desk drawer. I pulled out the magnifying glass my dad gave me for my fifth birthday. At that time, I really had no clue as to what I could do with it, but now I have the chance to make use of it.

I lifted the pendant towards the lens and took a good look.

My guess was right, a word was there. It was small that when I looked at the pendant again without any aid, I could barely see it. Not with the use of a magnifying glass.

Heal.

That was the word.

Okay, technically speaking, that means giving help to someone with a health condition. To let wounds and illnesses heal.

That made totally perfect sense. Not.

I decided to forget about it so I just removed the necklace and placed it in my jewellery box.

It’s time to take a bath so I can face the world, enough worrying in the meantime.

As soon as I got out of bath, I left Todd a voicemail.

‘Hey, good morning. Could I come over today? You left your wine, the flowers are on a vase, if you want them back, they haven’t withered yet. Thanks.’

I don’t know if it is a good idea to see him again this soon, but I decided to go for it. I just kept on telling myself this will be the last time.

It surprised me to see his text almost only five minutes later.

‘Kay. Just let yourself in, I’m in my room. The door is unlocked.’