The Dark Night

Hey!
It's been quite long but I am back!

Sorry I had exams...

Okay, let's move on to the next oneshot. It was requested by _Fan_Of_JL_ and it's about.... I won't say that. It's just that well, you'll see...

HAPPY READING (You're going to need it)

%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Diana Prince was the princess of the Amazons. She had been in various battle fields years before she came to Man's World. She had lost very many valued companions in those battles. She had been in funerals before. She had mourned fallen comrades before. But not like this, not like him...

It was an ordinary morning. Diana had breakfast with Shayera and then they had a meeting in the Conference Room with the rest of the Original Members. It was an ordinary meeting, nothing of great importance. Kal informed them about some changes and improvements in the security system and some changes in the Monitor Duty shifts. After a whole hour the meeting was adjourned and everyone returned to their jobs. Flash was on Monitor Duty with Green Lantern, while Superman left immediately for Africa with Shayera- there was trouble there- and Diana was left behind, having absolutely nothing to do.

Batman made his way to the teleporters in order to return to Gotham. He had to locate Joker's new hideout whereas Wayne Enterprises needed him for the development of a new project. He felt a presence behind him and didn't bother to even turn. He knew it was her.
-What do you want, Princess? He asked in his usual, cold manner.
-Come to my quarters, we need to talk, she replied determinedly, her voice undeniable.
He didn't want to go. He didn't want to talk to her. He didn't want to talk at all, much less with her. He had work to do and he couldn't waste his time discussing his relationship with an Amazon..

Could he?

He didn't want this to happen. He didn't want to feel that way about her. He had a mission and she was a distraction for him. He couldn't even imagine how it could be like letting her in. She would be in danger, she could be an easy target for his enemies, an easy way for them to get through him.
He did follow her to her quarters and when he entered she made sure to close the door and lock it.

-Sit down, she practically commanded him.
He sat down in a chair silently.
-What do you want to talk about, Princess? He asked pretending he didn't know.
-Don't play me a fool, Bruce, you know exactly what I want to talk about, she countered with an intense stare into him that could easily burn a hole to his skull.
-Diana, you know my opinion on that matter, he started.
-And you know mine, she interrupted him. "The question is Who is more stubborn in order to enforce his own rules?" She wondered with a smart smirk.
-Well, he stared again.
He never got to finish his sentence. This time he was interrupted by their beeping Justice League communicators.
-Batman, it's Green Lantern. We have a situation in Atlanta. It must be the Legion of Doom. Take Diana and go.
-On my way, Batman answered nonchalantly and turned his communicator off.
-We got to go, he said to her evenly.
-We are not over yet, she responded to him with an almost aggressive tone.
He didn't answer to her. He just stormed into the teleporters, Diana following closely. They both teleported in Atlanta and searched the area for any kinds of threat.

She was fighting Volcana when Giganta attacked him. It was too much for him, she knew that. However, she couldn't go help him. She had her hands full. She just prayed to her gods for him.

She was watching as he was hitting the ground, and she heard him screaming in agony, his pain echoing through her ears. His long, black cape laid around his muscular form, which was covered in blood mixed with dirt. She walked over to him slowly, as if it was a dream; a nightmare. That's what it had to be... A nightmare. She was looking forward to waking up. She cursed under her breath to the God of dreams for the silly games he was playing with her mind.
She dropped to her knees just beside him and stared, not knowing what to do. She couldn't get words out of her mouth; the glorious Wonder Woman was speechless in front of death. She allowed her marble-like hand to go towards him and touch his stone cold face.
She traced his dry lips with her index finger. They didn't part and there was no air coming out of them. He was gone...
She tried to give him first aid but nothing happened.
She continued her staring and her hand absentmindedly went up to the uncovered part of his face, stroking his strong jawline. It was coated in dry blood coming from his mouth.
Hot reals rolled down her cheeks and a sob made his way to her throat and then to her lips where it escaped from. Diana found herself weak and powerless in front of death. She closed her eyes in an attempt to stop this madness but when she opened them again his pale face was still here. But something was different.
He was breathing. Very little air was coming out of his mouth but it still did.
-D.. Diana, she heard his saying and she could barely listen to him. She neared her face to his I order to listen to his next words.
-Stay here, he said slowly and weakly. She held his hand tightly.
-I want you to be the last thing I see before I die, he muttered and Diana absentmindedly released another sob.
-Bruce, you won't die, I won't let you.
Her voice was trembling and her tears rolled down to her neck, making it wet.
He gave her the faintest of a smile.
-I'm just... happy I didn't die before I...
His voice was dying. Diana made sure to communicate with J'ohn telepathically in order to teleport them back to the Watchtower but he said it had to wait- there were a lot heroes to be teleported.
Diana cursed under her breath in Greek.
-What? What did you want to do? She asked almost in a desperate tone.
-I want you to know...
He started.
"That I love you."
Diana practically screamed when she heard that. At last he admitted his love to her. At last he said that.
-I love you too, Bruce, she answered with tears of happiness this time. "I always had and I always will".
Bruce smiled.
-Now I can die knowing that you know that, he said evenly and then his faint heartbeat faded until it completely stopped.
Diana was desperate. She started crying silently, no sobs came out of her lips, no noises were made, just hot tears spoiled her neck and her uniform along with his. She wanted to scream, but when she was making an effort to do so, the only thing came from her mouth was a whisper.
Later, she saw some Leaguers looking for them. She had no power to yell to them to come to her. She just watched them looking at them and walking towards them.
The members of the Legion of Doom went back to their cells in Belle Reve and Diana back to her quarters in the Watchtower. But now he was gone. She had nothing to think of, nothing to dream of. She felt empty.
She cried again.

And again.

And again.

#####################

I guess this is the end of another oneshot. I have to admit that I cried a lot while I was writing this. Please don't hate. You can't imagine how hard it was for me.
See you in the next oneshot coming soon!!!

In the photo above you can read the official Justice League synopsis.