A Drop of Poison

"What?" Ike rose to his feet. 

"You mean the battle has reached the capital?" Jay asked worriedly.

Bloking nodded gravely. "About two days ago they broke through our borders. The men that survived came running back here and gave reports of strange goings-on a few days before they were attacked and the Skilaen army forced them to scatter."

"What kinds of strange goings-on?" Zia demanded. If Daxtor was the overall leader of the Skilaen army, it would be just like him to have some nasty trick up his sleeve.

The general turned to her. "Men disappearing in the night, reports of strange sounds in the Docklin Woods, strange lights. The reports say these things happened about four days before they crossed the border. All utter superstitious nonsense, if you ask me," he said, "but it was enough to unsettle the men. Now all my soldiers are starting to fight one another, accusing one another of trying to play tricks. They're all rather uptight, worried that they will be taken from their cots at night, or that they'll be attacked by someone savage in the woods. I can barely get even my bravest men to go collect firewood!"

"Psychological warfare," Heath said. "Make your enemies destroy themselves from the inside."

"Fear is a powerful weapon," Jay said thoughtfully. "The Skilaens are the ones behind it obviously, but sometimes even the most obvious things can cause doubt and fear. Though it pains me to say it, it is a rather smart move on their part."

General Bloking nodded in agreement. "That it is."

Zia knew that as soldiers and men of war and battle, Jay and General Bloking were prone to respect clever war stratagem, no matter whose it was.

"The question is, however," Heath said, "how are we going to fix it?"

The general raised an eyebrow. "We?"

"Yes, we. I'm sure we can spare a moment or two to help."

Bloking shook his head. "No. If what you say is true and you are indeed on your way to the castle with urgent news, you will need to leave as soon as you can. I'm sure we can figure something out."

"Are you quite sure, sir?" Jay asked. "I'm sure we can help think of something."

The large man turned toward the Captain. "I am always quite sure, Captain Jayson. Now, I think you four should get some rest. The journey ahead of you is not long nor hard, but you will need your strength nonetheless."

"What do you mean? Ike wondered.

The general stared at Ike with solemn eyes. "You shall see, my young friend. You shall see."

Zia winced as she stretched and jostled her leg, sending a jolt of pain through her calf

Zia winced as she stretched and jostled her leg, sending a jolt of pain through her calf. Obviously whatever fighting she had done yesterday had undone whatever healing her leg had already completed. It was sore and stiff, as a muscle often is following the first time of use after a long period of inactivity.