The Execution

Zia went home with Arch Reems that night. For the first time in her life, she felt safe and cared for as she rode home with him on a horse loaned to him until the time of the execution, where they would be expected to be to watch Daxtor's hanging.

"How much further?" Zia asked, turning in the saddle to look at Arch.

Arch lifted his hand and pointed his finger towards a small, old house on a hill next to a field where weeds had invaded. "Not far," Arch answered. "It's not much. It gets a bit cold at nights, but it's better than sleeping outside."

Zia agreed fully as she remembered the night she had spent in the cold when she had run away. "It looks wonderful," Zia said. She couldn't wait to get... home. Seeing the house, it finally struck her that Arch had offered her something she had never had: a home. A place of love and laughter; a place where she could feel safe.

As the house drew nearer, the more Zia's excitement grew. It became nearly unbearable to wait to get there. It made Zia want to grab the reins from Arch and send the cantering horse into a full gallop. But somehow she was able to restrain herself.

When they finally did reach the small house, Zia's heart was thumping harder than the drums she imagined would be at Daxtor's execution. The beat pounded in her head as it got faster and faster and she thought it might consume her.

Arch brought the horse to a stop near a small stable and dismounted. Then he turned and reached for Zia and swung her down safely to the ground. Then he grabbed the reins of the palace horse and led him inside where he gently and carefully took off his saddle and filled an old bag with some oats for him to eat while Arch rubbed him down with a wiry brush.

"Can I help?" Zia asked as he was midway through the brushing.

Arch looked at her and smiled. "How would you like to go get him some water? There's a small creek just a few paces that way." He pointed out in front of him, and Zia nodded and ran out of the stable, grabbing an old wooden bucket by the door on her way out.

After the horse was watered, fed, and groomed 'til his coat gleamed, Zia and Arch finally went inside. As the door opened, Zia was afraid she might explode from excitement. She absolutely loved everything. She loved the dusty mantle that held a small box and a few other odds and ends. She loved the fireplace that roared with a warm fire. She loved the old, worn chairs and sofa in the living room. She loved the table in the kitchen with only three legs. She loved the stove and the cupboards and the squeaky stairs.

"Welcome home!"

Zia nearly jumped out of her skin. Ike jumped out from behind the sofa cheering and hollering welcome. There was another boy with him that Zia didn't know. He seemed to be the same age as her, but he was much taller. His light brown hair was shaggy and unkempt and he kept blowing it out of his eyes. His eyes were a murky green color, like a pond with way too much algae.

Ike ran up to Zia and wrapped his arms around her neck. "Welcome home!" he repeated

At first, Zia was surprised by his embrace. She had never experienced physical touch in such a tender, caring fashion. But once she realized that his gesture was one of kindness, she wrapped her own arms around his back and hugged him tight.

When the two children broke from their embrace, Ike quickly turned to the other boy and said, "Zia, this is my best friend in the whole world, Heath."

"Hullo," Heath said with a friendly smile.

Zia wasn't used to so much happy energy and she was beginning to feel overwhelmed. She also wasn't used to meeting strangers, and she certainly hadn't expected Heath to be there. She could feel the heat in her cheeks and she looked down and murmured a greeting that even she couldn't make out.