Chapter 19

"Marry me," He said it so softly, so softly that I almost missed it.

But I didn't miss it. It echoed in my ears.

I turned to look at him. My eyes were big as saucers as I stared back at him. He looked confident, like he'd been planning it for a while. But there's no way that could be. We'd barely been living together for 2 months. We'd only just said we loved each other a few short weeks ago.

I shook my head,

"You're serious...."

He nodded, his fingers running up and down my arm,

"Deadly."

I pulled my arm away from his grasp, shaking my head in disbelief as I tied the robe back together. I looked back at him and then turned to walk out of the bathroom. My mind was darting between incredulity at his suggestion and questions for why he would suggest such a thing.

He followed me into the bedroom,

"Em-"

I whirled around,

"Why would you ask me that?" I asked, "On our last night together...before you leave for 5 weeks?"

He seemed to be thrown off by that question, but smiled anyway,

"Because I wanted to ask you. I've wanted to ask you for a long time."

I folded my arms over my chest,

"A long time? We only just...I mean we weren't even...6 months ago we couldn't have been further apart."

He blinked a few times,

"Things were different 6 months ago. Neither of us knew what was happening."

"And you think we know what's happening now?"

"I think we know we're in love. And that we're always gonna be together..." He narrowed his eyes as he studied me closely, "At least I know that."

I shot him a look, shaking my head,

"Don't do that. Don't make it seem like I'm less committed to you because this is a crazy idea."

"Why is this a crazy idea?"

I threw my hands out as my anxiety levels raised,

"Because we just moved in together 2 months ago....we only said we loved each other-"

"You told me you loved me 3 weeks ago. It was a Friday night. You were wearing my Rolling Stones t-shirt when you said it," He said firmly.

I stared back at him. He was trying to prove something to me but it only served to irritate me more,

"Harry-"

He shook his head,

"This may all seem very quick to you....but I've been in love with you since I was 17 years old. I've been waiting for this very moment for almost 5 years."

I felt like I couldn't get enough air into my lungs. Like the room was growing smaller and smaller with each passing moment,

"Can we not do this tonight? Please? I just wanna-"

"I asked you to marry me, Em," He interrupted.

I looked back at him, setting my chin in defiance,

"And I asked you why you asked me that."

He let out a frustrated sigh,

"Because then we can't be kept apart. People will have to accept that you're a part of my life and I'm a part of yours and that's the end-"