o n e | Just the beginning

BEFORE

MAISIE.

I walked outside the house closing the door behind me, as I put my headphones on over my ears. I adjusted the black backpack on my shoulders and walked towards the woods, as I got closer towards the woods the little two story house had gotten smaller and soon the house disappeared as I entered the woods. I kneeled down and took my backpack off my shoulders and opened it, the backpack held my sketch book and black, grey and white colored pencils, chalks and books.

My fingers stopped moving as they brushed against a small metal object- a pocket knife, the knife Grandfather gave me. I looked up and looked around, an new habit I picked up from grandfather, I scoffed and shook my head I grabbed the knife and slid it in my back pocket of my skinny jeans, just in case I thought.

I put my backpack on and adjusted my black and white hoodie and continued walking. About 20 minutes of walking and listening to Black bear and Halsey , I reached my destination the spot. The spot is like my refuge if anything happens to the house we come here, Grandfather and Mother thought It'll be a good plan to have one. The spot for me is just a big tree that has a bag hidden underneath the roots, the bag has money, clothes, snacks, and books in it. The tree has to be at least like 10 years, the tree isn't far from the house and not to far away from the town. I looked up at the old tree and inhaled then exhaled, I then looked up at the sky, it was grey with a few clouds like it could rain anytime. I sat down with my back against the tree and sat my backpack between my legs.

I leaned back till the back of my head was gently against the tree an closed my eyes and slid one headphone behind my right ear so I'll still be able to listen to music and listen to my surroundings at the same time. I was listening to Halsey, she has a weird way with words. I lifted my head away from the tree and grabbed my bag, opened it up and gotten my sketchbook and my chalk out.

I set my sketchbook and chalks next to me and my bag on the other side, I grabbed my sketchbook and chalk, I then looked around to get any ideas on what to draw I then started reaching for the grey chalk as inspiration struck me but I never reached it I was stopped by the sound of a faint scream.

I paused the music on my phone and took my headphones off, thinking it was the music. But once I paused the music the screaming continued, I looked around trying to find what direction the scream was coming from. Just as soon the smell of smoke came to my senses the screaming stopped. I shoved everything in my backpack and placed the backpack on my shoulders and started walking home, I pulled my IPhone out checking if I got a text from Theo but I gotten nothing.

I frowned and put my phone back in my hoodie pocket. I continued walking further away from the tree, I turned around checking my surroundings making sure the feeling of being watched was false. I turned back around and continued walking away from the tree, that's when I heard that's when I heard the most scariest thing in my entire life.

"MAISIE!"

I took off running towards the house as quickly as my legs can take me, I was a pretty fast runner for girls my age. I stopped running when I was close enough to see half of the house on fire and what appeared to be wolves? I took out my little pocket knife and took off running towards the front door with my backpack still on my shoulders.

I was almost to the door when something grabbed ahold of my backpack and yanked, LITERALLY YANKED ME BACK. That sent me crashing into somebody sending us both to the ground. I groaned and looked up to see Theo smirking down at me, holding his hand out. I rolled my eyes and grabbed ahold of his hand "You should watch where your getting thrown sis."