Charlotte's Home and Treasures

Even though I wasn't allowed to like Finn, I was still allowed to look at him. And think about him. And talk to him. "Hey, Fi..."

"Hey, you're the Africa girl, right?" Asked some kid that blocked my path.

"Yeah." I answered.

"I'm Enzo Amore, captain of the North Shore Mathletes. We participate in math challenges against other high schools in the state, and we can get twice as much funding if we've got a girl. So you should think about joining." He offered.

"Oh, you'd be perfect for it." The math teacher, Ms.Del Ray encouraged. At this point I just wanted to catch up to Finn in the halls but he was probably long gone by now.

"Yeah, definitely."

"Great, great." Enzo nodded and dug in his pocket. "Let me give you my card." His "business card" read captain of Northshore mathleats and badass MC. "OK, so think it over. Because we'd like to get jackets."

I walked outside and planned on getting home. I had a lot of homework to get to. Then the sound of soccer balls caught my attention. I looked over at the field and saw Finn playing with his team. I smiled and waved at him. I tried my best not to look like a swooning nerd when he waved back at me.

Tires screeching behind me made me jerk around. It was a silver lexus. "Get in, loser. We're going shopping." Charlotte told me then fluffed her gold hair in the mirror.

Charlotte's like the barbie doll I never had. I'd never seen anybody so glamorous.
________________
"So how do you like North Shore?" Sasha asked.

"It's good." I lifted up the hem to Chad's oversized, pink polo shirt, so I could put my hands in my pockets. "I think I'm joining the Mathletes."

"No!" They all blurted.

"No, no. You cannot do that. That is social suicide." Charlotte warned as if I was making an awful life's decision. "Damn, you are so lucky you have us to guide you."

Being at Old Orchard Mall kind of reminded me of being home in Africa. By the watering hole. When the animals are in heat.

Becky flung her arms out, stopping us all in the middle of the walkway. "Oh, my God, there's Corey!" She pointed out. Her shoulders slumped when she announced the next bit of news. "And he's with Peyton Royce."

(^Peyton Royce^)

(^Peyton Royce^)

"I heard they're going out."

"Wait. Corey's not going out with Peyton. No. He cannot blow you off like that. He's such a little skeez. Give me your phone." Charlotte held her hand out.

"You're not gonna call him, right?"

"Do you think I'm an idiot?" She took the phone from Becky.