Chapter 1- New Faces In Unwanted Places

“Here you go Lucy, eat up,” I coo the adorable little girl in the highchair in the kitchen. She giggles before opening up and taking her food.

                It’s been a month since that bastard gave me this little gift. I mean, who would just give away a child? I returned to see if he’d show up but there was no sign of him, nothing at all. I went to the police station to look at any missing child reports but nothing appeared. I took Lucy to get checked at the hospital and she hadn’t even been registered.

                I took all of this in and did the rational thing to register her as Lucy Mason, yeah, I gave her my last name. So, technically this little girl is mine. According to the doctor she’s one month shy of a year and is already attempting to walk. She’s been crawling around the huge house eagerly, the house that had to undergo a whole lot of baby proofing.

                My nanny and housekeeper, Claire, fell in love with the little girl that I brought home in my arms that eventful night a month ago. Of course, she did state that Lucy would be my responsibility but she helps take care of her when I go to school and such. She can’t deny that the little blue eyed girl captured her heart.

                Even my butler, Roger, the stone faced man that handles all of my assets cracks a smile in the presence of Lucy. And these are about the only people I come in contact with. Like I said before, not many people favor me in school. Well, nobody really with the exception of the teachers. But, the three of us will be enough to provide Lucy with everything that she needs.

                Lucy is a part of my daily routine now, we’ve grown quite close and she even made me cry a week ago when she addressed me as ‘mama’. She’s been trying out new words but still has some difficulty, I’ve been studying up on babies and it’s these stages where she’s developing her speech. The process takes place in her first two years of life, so she definitely has a long way to go.

                She loves her room and crawls and staggers around there all the time. I decorated it with lilac patterns, not too flowery and not too plain. I bought her a beautiful mahogany crib, I had a changing table brought in. I think that’s the only down side to being a new mom, changing diapers. Not so fun and easy, well at least Lucy isn’t a boy. I heard that can be quite the experience.  I also had a rocking chair brought in for the nights when she can get a little testy or I just want to keep an eye on her.

                It can get hard because I’ve grown attached and sometimes I find myself looking over my shoulder, wondering if someone’s after her. Many times I recall the night that brought us together and I wonder if someone could be as ruthless as to actually be going after her. But, why would that guy with the unforgettable voice give her up, just like that? These are questions that may never be answered.

                “Khloe, you better get ready for school or you’re going to be late!” I hear Claire yell as she descends the back staircase into the kitchen. I straighten up and spare her a quick glance before turning my eyes on Lucy once again. She’s sporting one of her new purple outfits that I bought her.

                “I don’t want to leave her,” I pout at my nanny. She rolls her eyes making her way towards me, taking the baby food out of my hands and taking over feeding the adorable little girl. Lucy is undergoing the transition from bottle to cup but still has the occasional bottle. Roger has taken it to him to prepare a variety of healthy food for Lucy that are ready to either heat up or just feed her.