Chapter 15- Batman, Brothers, and Significant Others

“Adrian, you try to sneak into her room one more time, I’m going to cut your eyeballs so you’ll be lost wandering where the hell you’re going,” Drew’s voice disturbs my peaceful reading as it carries throughout the house. You’d think the mystery bad boy was quiet, not when it comes to his family, he really is overprotective. Personally, I think Adrian just likes baiting him by sneaking off to Sammy’s room. A knock on my door has me heaving a sigh. I don’t feel like getting up.

                “I know you’re in there, cupcake,” oh, it’s the devil himself. Maybe if I just keep quiet he’ll think I’m gone. The living arrangements have gone quite good, well, except for Adrian and Drew’s bantering, but that’s not new. I’ve been hiding inside my room all day, today’s Kohl and I’s birthday, and I know Sammy’s keeping watch to try to girlify me.

                “Lucy and I just want to see you,” I can hear the smile on those rosy lips. With a smile of my own, I get up from the black bean bag chair and open the locked door. There stands the most beautiful sight for sore eyes with beautiful blue ones of their own, and Drew.

                “Hey baby,” I chirp as I grab the giddy baby from Drew’s arms.

                “Well hello there,” his arrogant voice speaks up. I scowl as he makes his way inside the room, not before locking the door.

                “I was talking to Lucy,” I state without looking at him, my attention captured by a little girl that seems to be oozing happiness. I’ve tried to avoid Drew as much as possible since that kiss. No one’s mentioned anything so I’m hoping we’ve all forgotten about it.

                “Haven’t seen you around,” he sighs nonchalantly.

                “I’ve been around,” I’m working on my lying skills and the ability to come up with an excuse at any given time, I’m happy to say I think it’s working. I head over to my massive bed and plop down with Lucy in my arms. She begins to thrash around before crawling around on the bedspread. I see him get a lopsided grin on his chiseled face out of the corner of my eye.

                “Why are you hanging out in your room, it’s your birthday, didn’t I make some calls to have a party ready?” he raises an eyebrow as he plops down on the bean bag chair I’d currently been sitting on.

                “Not much of a party person, plus I’ve got plenty of time,” I shrug as I carefully keep an eye on Lucy.

                “So, I, uhm, came to ask you something,” I jump as his voice sounds closer. I raise an eyebrow as he stands by the foot of the bed with his hands in his pockets while his gaze hovers over nothing.

                “Yeah, I have a question too,” I speak up causing him to sigh in relief and sit down on the edge of the bed, making faces at Lucy.

                “Go,” he motions with his hand for me to speak.

                “Okay, can you explain the whole gang thing to me or is it ‘you know, you die’ sort of thing, and why do I need to be protected?” I let it all out in one breath before the courage of speaking up dissipates.

                “Wow, uhm, okay, I could let you know so much about the gang and not putting you in some sort of danger,” he stops, hesitating. I was about to tell him to forget it when he begins to speak as he rolls over on his back with Lucy on his muscular chest.

                “My father was the bad kid around his side of town, people had heard about him being a gangster’s son and they alienated him for it. The rumors were true, but it didn’t mean he was a bad person, it’s like assuming a killer’s son is automatically a killer and you hold him up for his father’s crimes. It’d been this way for a while. His father had gone through the same treatment. Basically this gang had been formed years ago, before any of us had been born.