Chapter 27- Somebody To Die For

Song On The Side: Hurts- Somebody To Die For

“Was there a storm on the radar?” I ask uncertainly as I take a step closer to Drew’s frozen frame. He seems to have the same eerie feeling that I happen to be experiencing.

                “Drew, Khloe, you guys still there?” Kohl calls out from his spot on the stairs. I nod before remembering we’ve been completely submerged in darkness.

                “Yeah,” I answer. Drew and I simultaneously and carefully tread up the stairs, the three of us heading for the upper hallway. A bolt of lightning flashes though the sky followed by thunder making me jump slightly and a tightening feeling descends upon my chest. Like a warning I bolt past my brother and Drew and head straight for Lucy’s room, I get there just in time to see a dark figure stepping in through the window. A window I’m sure to keep locked. I lunge for the crib and take a protective stance in front of it, footsteps thunder as they near the room. The figure turns to me, I don’t recognize any of his features through the darkness but a muffled chuckle can be heard through his ski mask. I didn’t know criminals still wore those, I guess it comes in handy when you’re doing some sort of home invasion.

                “Back away,” Drew screams as he comes through the doorway. Without any sense of fear he walks further into the room, pulling a gun from the diaper drawer by the door and pointing at the man. How did I not know there was a loaded gun in this room? I turn to grab Lucy and then move behind Drew, whose anger seems to vibrate in the otherwise still room. Just a couple of minutes of being a couple and we’re already getting ambushed, it’s like a movie. Arms try to pull me out through the open doorway but I’m not quite sure about leaving Drew alone. I turn around and can barely make out Kohl’s figure trying to pull me out into the hallway. I shake my head and place Lucy in his arms before moving around to Drew’s side. “Get out,” he hisses at me through clenched teeth but feeling just a tad defiant I stand my ground.

                “No, if you stay I stay,” I murmur. He redirects his gaze towards the observant figure in the room which is better for me and my bladder. I’m pretty sure can make someone pee themselves by just glaring at them. Shit’s real. “So, why are you in our house?” I decide to address the elephant in the room. I swear the eye roll from Drew was audible but I have no time to ponder over that as in that moment Adrian bursts into the room. How do I know? He’s the only person who can use that amount of profanity almost artistically.

                “Khloe get out,” he orders. Am I a pet, did somewhere around the time I started hanging out with these guys I grow ears and become some sort of fragile puppy? I’ll admit my athletic prowess is laughable but that doesn’t mean I can’t give a good kick in the shins.

                “Why?” I fold my arms across my chest.

                “Khloe, go look for Lucas and your brother if not I am going to make you regret it,” Adrian threatens. I look over at Drew for help.

                “I’m with him,” he nods towards the door and I stomp my way out of there. That’s how they want to play it then fine. Lost in anger I forgot I was walking in complete darkness and I crashed into someone.

                “Is that you Khloe?” I hear Sammy ask.

                “Yeah, how’d you know?”

                “You’re the only uncoordinated person in this house. Well, except your brother when he’s around Kim,” she explains. I can’t even argue with that. “Come on, we have to find Lucas. He’s checking the security system to see how someone got past the gate of the house,” I feel her hand clasp around mine before helping me up from the ground. I was going to ask about Lucas’s ‘mad skills’ but I didn’t want to offend anybody.