Chapter 1

Jo-Vaughn

"Love is when the other person's happiness, is more important than your own. That is actually one of my favorite quotes by Brown," Ms. Nyla, my journalism teacher said, while smiling.

She was a petite Asian lady who couldn't be older than 35. With short jet black hair and a pale face.
No disrespect to her whatsoever, but I could see why she was still single.

All we keep learning in this class, is useless quotes about love and I'm getting so tired of hearing the same old shit. She believes in it way too much, at her age she should've stopped waiting for it a long time ago.

It will never come.

"Aye Vaughn, you comin' to the block party later on? It's going to be mad females there and I know you ain't got shit to do" My friend Kenny, asked. Kenny was one of the rare niggas I trusted with my life, he was always there for me when I needed him. As I'd do the same for him.

"Oh word, I actually do have things to do" I lied. I hated going to parties in general because it's the same thing just being repeated over and over again. Who wants to go to an event when they already know what's to be expected.

"Yea okay nigga, always lying. Don't you already know you going to hell?" I flipped him off.

"Peep this" I took out my phone from my pocket and gave it to him.

He ran his hands through it before laughing. "Wow miracles do happen," He wiped his eyes.

"What's so funny son?"

He shot his hands in defense "My bad, I bet Jamal 50 dollars that you would fuck it up in a day. I didn't think your black ass would for real."

"Glad it's so funny man" I took my phone from his ashy hands and placed it on it's front, on the desk.

"Don't get mad at me, you should've been thinkin' bout that before you went all hulk on it. Nigga we not rich, We broke boys" He pointed at his fake Rolex.

I laughed and remembered the day he bought it from Tin-Tin, the con man from around the corner.

He quickly pulled his sleeve over it.
" I did nothin' yo, I was walking with it in my hands. Then this girl just comes out of nowhere, and slams the door into me. So it dropped"

"Who's the girl?" He asked.

"Abby," I averted my eyes to my knuckles and started tapping on the desk.

"The fat chick?" He laughed as though it was the funniest thing he heard.

"She ain't fat" I said a little too quickly.

"Right and Beyonce gave me head. No take that back white lives matter."

I shook my head, he always says some stupid shit. "I just don't be gettin' how y'all be on her so bad she ain't even ugly"

"I'm not even buggin' on this one son, you right she ain't ugly but she ain't fine, and she ain't sucking your dick so I don't know why you pressed."

"Jo-Vaughn," Ms. Nyla handed me a packet.

I already knew it was some crazy assignment she was giving.

What the hell?

I read the packet again.

"I expect you guys to have this completed by the end of the semester, and any questions you may have you know where to find me."

I looked over at Kenny and noticed his was completely different from mine, he shrugged and began writing the notes that was on the board.