2

"I'm guessing you left for a reason then." Ashton said after five minutes of silence. He turned on the blinker and maneuvered the car left.

"Yeah." I turned on the seat warmer and the hot air.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa," he said turning the air back to where it was. "That's too hot."

"But it's cold." I said moving it back to where I had it.

"No way, it's perfectly fine. Get a blanket from the backseat."

Annoyed, I ripped the blanket from the backseat. He pulled into the grocery store's parking lot and I rolled my eyes.

Cold = skinny. Get over it Wiley.

Ashton gets out. As I get my blanket situated to take into the store, the passenger door opened. Startled I looked over to see Ashton standing there with the door opened.

"W-what are you doing?" I stammered.

"Opening the door for you?" He said.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Umm thanks." I stepped out of the car and the closed the door behind me.

"Did your mom give you a list or did she just want you out of the house?" Ashton asked as we entered the store.

"Probably the second. I'm like the family disappointment." I wrapped myself in the blanket tighter.

"You're just different. It's okay."

"Different seems to be bad in my family." I walked down the wine aisle. "Should we get three red and two white?"

"Yeah." He grabbed four of the five bottles, leaving me to carry the last one.

"Why did you leave in the first place?"

Because everyone bitched about you not eating. They wanted you to leave me. And you and I both know you can't do that. You need me.

"It was just time to go. Like you said, I'm different. They wouldn't let me be that." We went up to the deli and my stomach lurched with want and need.

"We could get a sandwich platter and vegetables...I know your mom would kill us if we didn't buy vegetables." He laughed, looking over at me.

One bite of that and you'll regret it.

I looked back at him and he brushed a strand of hair from my face. Pushing his hand away, I stepped back. "We should get the platter and vegetables."

His face reddened. "Yeah." He grabbed both platters and we headed toward self checkout.

×××××

"We don't have to go back if you don't want to." Ashton spoke up.

"Yeah I'll pass on going back." I drew my knees up to my chest and rested my chin on my knees. "Want to go to a park?"

Ashton smiled. "I know the perfect place."

He pulled up to a green forest of sorts. A pond laod there, untouched and peaceful. I couldn't help but smile. "This is really something, Ash."

"I come here a lot for peace and quiet. You're the first and only person who knows about this place so let's keep it hush hush." He grinned. We sat on a green patch of grass and stared at the pond and the beautiful nature around us.

"You're so different." He whispered.

I looked down at my blue nails. My nails weren't painted blue, they turned blue. "Years do that to a person, yeah?"

"Why were you always gone. It's like, you would be gone for three months and then you would come back for about a month and then off you were again." Ashton didn't look at me, he continued to stare straight ahead.

"I...just had things I needed to take care of." I said confidently, with a snip in my voice.

"I know why, Wiley. You don't have to hide it from me." Ashton took this chance to look at me.

"If you know, why do you want me to say it?"

"I don't want to hear from other people. I want to hear it from you." He shot back.

"But you're not my boyfriend, Ashton. You never were and you never were interested. I was just my brother's little sister to you."

He looked taken aback. "I was always interested in you, Wiley."

"Then why didn't you say anything?"

"You were always gone and you made it very clear that you didn't want anything to do with relationships."

I laughed but not out of humor. "Bullshit. You don't know anything."

"Because you make it so damn hard to read you, Wiley. I'm into you. I'm so fucking into you." Ashton sighed hardily.

"I can't do this, Ashton. I cannot have a relationship right now. You know what?" I finally looked at him. "You brought me here for peace and quiet and now you're interrogating me like I've commited a crime. This is no better than being with my family." I shut up before I can say much more.

"You're right," he whispered. "I'm sorry."

"It's fine." I muttered. Attempting to change the subject, I pointed toward two ducks waddling over.

"I think they want food." I said. I nudged him lightly trying to get him to smile. He really is a great guy. Very down to earth and very talented, but I know that I am bound to hurt him...and I would never forgive myself if I did.

"Let's give them sandwiches." He smiled. I guess I succeeded. He cracked open the box and split it in half, giving it to both ducks.

"Want one?" Ashton bit into a ham and cheese finger sandwich.

I do. "No, I'm good." I really want one. "My stomach isn't feeling it right now."

"Suit yourself." He shrugged and shoved the rest of his sandwich in his mouth. Self conscious, I pulled and hit at my collarbones. My fingers wrapping around them.

Ashton and I sat in silence. "How have you been lately?" I asked.

He shrugged again. "I've been taking care of my family a lot. Also, getting ready for this wedding. By the way, we're dancing together at all three weddings."

A laugh escaped my lips. "Well, I cannot dance to save my life." I stared at the sandwiches. "Is Lauren alright?"

Ashton nodded somewhat. "I think she's okay. She doesn't really seem to want to talk to me."

"Maybe she does want to talk to you but doesn't know how." I leaned back on my hands.

"I don't understand what you mean." He said truthfully.

"She probably doesn't know how to express her feelings." I rephrased.

He nodded. "That's understandable. Hey, we should probably get back before they think we're dead." I laughed, while getting up.

"Okay. I want to drive back though."

"And I'll let you." He tossed me the keys and I caught them.