Falling Apart

I wrote this, and then felt the need to give it a separate short story thread... It's not my usual work, but I thought it was a fun challenge. Hope you like it as much as I do.

So, I am dead. No literally. It's kind of a long story, so bear with me. First, I met a really cool guy and fell in love. He was a warlock, and a pretty good one too. I was just normal. That didn't seem to bother him though. He said -I was so normal, I was perfect. Whatever that means. I think he was just being nice but whatever the reason, he loved me. So I got a kick ass boyfriend that could do really amazing stuff and I thought life just couldn't get any better. I was right. It got worse.

Here, let me start at the beginning. Or I guess the end depending on how you look at it. This is the day I died. It started off really good. I was happy, going about my business like any other person, but then shit happens. It really could have been anyone, and I don't really blame anyone, not even the guy who hit me. I mean it was a crappy deal, but I could have just moved on because I was so happy at the time. But I guess Eric just couldn't let me go...

*

"Simon! Get your arse downstairs right this minute!" I heard my dad shout. I grabbed my bag and made a run for it. As I passed him in the hall he had a stern look on his face and I grinned as I grabbed the lunch from his hand. I waved as I left and shouted back.

"Thanks Dad, I'll be late tonight don't forget. I'm going over to Eric's after work." I glanced back to see him nodding and waving back. I grabbed my bike off the lawn and sped off down the street. The warm wind felt great against my face as I pedaled my way over to the main street, on my way to work. It was a bright sunny day, I liked my job and I got to see my boyfriend later.

I pulled in just in front of the bookstore and locked my bike to the rack. The door toned as I walked in and Rachel looked up from the book she was reading as I walked in. I went into the back to throw my bag under the desk with my helmet and gloves. Took a swipe at my unruly hair, not that it would make a difference, and went out to see what the plan was today.

"George said there is a delivery by the back door. If you load up the cart I can help you put them away if you want." Rachel said without looking up from the book she was reading.

"Is that a new one?" I asked, moving to the large boxes on a skid by the loading door behind her.

"No, just the next in the series." She glanced back as I opened the first box, her curiosity overpowering her desire to finish the book. The glossy covers of the new books we got in had us both drooling. I pulled the cart over and began stacking them by author's name. She came over to help stack, checking the backs of a couple when the cart was full.

"Should be done by the end of the day if you don't plan on reading the back of all of them." I joked. She just whacked my arm with the one in her hands and we went to put them away. Time flies when you're organizing your favourite things. I put out the new book display like George's diagram said, put away all the books in the first box, had lunch and even had time to alphabetize the used books pile again. People always mixed them up and I had OCD.

The bell rang when Eric arrived and we both turned to the sound. I straightened and gave him a peck on the cheek as he slipped his hand around my waist. Rachel looked away and blushed. She had a thing for yaoi manga, and was always saying we were 'moe'? I think she meant we were a cute couple; I didn't really care as long as she was cool with us.

"Ready to go, gorgeous?" He asked me in his sinful voice. I swear he could ask me to do something I absolutely hated, like eat brussel sprouts, and I would still melt into a little puddle.

"Yeah, let me grab my things." I went back to get my bag and helmet. He saw it and raised a brow.

"I thought you were going to walk today?" He mentions. I blushed.