Sehkmet's Influence

A/N Size difference, dub-c, read at your own discretion....

"Did he agree?" The Prince asked anxiously as the Advisor came from the throne room. His morose look was not promising.

"No. At this rate our people will die of starvation while the Gods eat a lavish feast and are worshipped by no one." He griped. The Prince sighed in frustration and then came to a decision. He pulled the Advisor down the hall and into a side chamber.

"Take my offerings. He has no say over those. I should have just enough to distribute to the most affected, I believe." He murmured, watching for spies. If they could get it done before word got to his father then there was nothing he could do after the fact except...

"My Prince, you are too kind but we couldn't put you in that much danger!" He shook his head at the Prince.

"I insist. Come whatever punishment he may give me; you make sure our people live. Please. I beg of you. Do not think on it another minute. We both know this is the right thing to do." He clapped a hand on the older man's shoulder and they exchanged a glance.

"Alright, my Prince. I will do as you ask." He bowed low to the Prince and then left to carry out his orders. The Prince felt a cold chill as he left, though the day was hot. His father was a cruel, stupid man who would rather pander to the Gods than care for his own people, but he was the Pharaoh. As much as he wished to oppose his father's rulings, he knew it was dangerous to do so unless the direst circumstances or the greatest need.

This time was of the greatest need. The drought which had descended affected not just the poor but the wealthy too. No food meant no food for anyone. How his father couldn't see that was beyond him. He had great silos of grain stored away for his tribute to the gods, and he knew there was more there than could feed all the priests and acolytes for a hundred years. It would spoil before anyone ate it, and their people needed it desperately now.

"Your majesty, I must ask you to come with us." The Captain of the Royal Guard stood in his doorway with a sympathetic expression. He realised that his father had found out about what he had done. It was too late now though. The grain was gone, distributed amongst the people who needed it. He did not know what to expect. The Prince bit his lip and the Captain clapped a gentle hand on his shoulder, "What you did was to be commended. I just wish your father could see what a good man you have become."

"Thank you Captain." The Prince whispered and followed him out of his chambers. He took the Prince to the throne room, the place his father most liked to be. The Pharaoh liked looking down on his subjects from the high throne, preferably covered in gold as much as possible. His face was contorted in anger as he looked down on them now. The Prince thought to himself that he had probably hoped the guards would be rougher with him and seemed disappointed his son wasn't brought in chains like the criminal he imagined him to be.

"Tsk, tsk, my son. You have been naughty. You gave away all your tribute to the Gods to lowly peasants and farmers. Now how do you expect the Gods to protect you? Especially since I specifically said I would give no aid to those lowlifes." He growled at his son. The Prince pretended to be surprised.

"Oh? I am so sorry father. I had no idea. I assumed that the Gods would be pleased to be worshipped and loved by more people, and thanked for sharing their bounty. You know I would never deliberately go against your word, father." He bowed low and did his best to look humble and subservient.

"Do I now? Hmmm. I wonder. It still stands that I must punish you for going against me." He glared at the boy. His hatred was a living thing in the room, caused by the kindness and beauty of his only son, no doubt. He stood and the extravagant robes glided down the steps behind him like a golden waterfall as he descended to pass judgement. The Prince knelt, but it was not enough for his father, who kicked him over and stepped on his chest.